harpcolumn

Salvi’s new concept soundboard

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Salvi’s new concept soundboard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Amy Wilson
    Participant

Does anyone have an Arion semi-grand pedal harp (either 44 or 47 string) with the new concept soundboard?

Sam Karlinski
    Participant

One of my teachers needed to have her Apollo soundboard replaced early this year, and I remember her telling me that the company was putting in a “new technology” soundboard – sounds like the same thing to me! When she got the harp back, it sounded just as broken in as when she had sent it over (granted, the harp was only a year old at maximum). It would seem that the projection and warmth of tone were greatly improved.

~Sam

Amy Wilson
    Participant

Hi Sam,

Do you think that once her Apollo came back from the factory, it had as much projection as a Lyon and Healy semi grand has?

deb-l
    Participant

I’m sorry if this is OT, but why would she need the soundboard replaced if her harp was only a year old?

Sam Karlinski
    Participant

I’m not familiar with semi grand harps, so I can’t really say for certain. However, the projection was overall very good even though it probably will not project as much as an L&H, but that’s partly in the nature of the brand’s unique sound. Another consideration here is that Apollos are widely considered to be Salvi’s best projecting harp, but my observation that the board sounded already somewhat broken probably means the projection would be better in comparison with an “old concept” soundboard. Her soundboard had to be replaced because it was punctured in three places – no one is truly sure how it happened. It was not a structural issue with the harp.

~Sam

I’ve posted time after time how my Apollo has gotten me into trouble because of the projection when playing for smaller events. It happened twice just this fall. I’m not even trying to play loudly (I’ve become so paranoid about this) and the host comes over and asks me to hold it down. Then on the flip side I get these comments like “I never knew the harp had such power!” Don’t get me wrong, however- I love it! I just played a long gig last night in a large venue with no amplification at all and everyone said they could hear it great. I’ve never played another Salvi, but my Apollo is amazing.

Amy Wilson
    Participant

Steven,

Does your Apollo have the new concept soundboard?

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I haven’t gotten a chance to try these, but from a visual perspective, I think the new design is ugly.

Amy Wilson
    Participant

Sidney,

You’re right–the Apollo does bulge out quite a bit at the bottom, more so than even the Arion.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I’m really surprised in general how the makers of harps are not so attentive to design principles.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Just to be fair and not pick entirely on one website.

I’ve had the Arion 47 string for about a year now.

Unless they changed it since I got mine it has the new design. It has a dark warm sound. I visited the Atlanta Harp Center two summers ago and got to play all those harps which included an old Wurlitzer and a new LH 30; all wonderful, but to me none seemed to have the tonal depth that comes from the Apollo. The 4th and lower 3rd octaves are just so rich. I love playing a melody line there with a bass way down in the wires.

Oh- and I love the Apollo’s huge bulging soundboard width. It is awesome. Just like when I used to play English horn in my high school/college days. I had this old one made in the 1920’s from Czechoslovakia with an unheard of low B flat key. The bell was so big it looked like a grapefruit and when I played that note it was seismic. (Incidentally, I sold the English horn to a museum in Germany to help get the Apollo!)

Amy Wilson
    Participant

Although it is a semi-grand, it is fully as heavy as a concert grand

What is the point of having a semi grand that’s as heavy as a concert?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies