harpcolumn

Harp piece in film “A Fine Madness”?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp piece in film “A Fine Madness”?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

The thread title pretty much says it: Early in the film “A Fine Madness” the central character, a poet/harpist performed by Sean Connery, plays background music at a lunch in a fancy restaurant. WHAT was the piece? It sounded late-19th-century Romantic, but I only heard once, it years ago, and my memory is pretty vague. I seem to recall that the music goes on for awhile in the soundtrack, so it should be identifiable. I might even recognise it now if I could hear it again, but I didn’t know it then.

I think Joanne Woodward was also in this movie. Tried this question out in the Harplist a few years ago, which prompted a lot of interesting posts from people who recollected the film (a good one, a rather offbeat comedy showing Connery in a very different sort of role from the ones we associate him with). But nobody could name the piece or its composer.

Anyone out there who can help?

john-strand
    Participant

According to imdb, the composer for the films’ music was John Addison who I checked out in Wikipedia – turns out he has quite an impressive

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Bonnie,

Forgive my own poor memory (and I’m also still on strong painkillers which doesn’t help) but I think it is “Marguerite

David Ice
    Participant

Forgot to say that I’ve heard David Watkins play the piece many times, which is how I became acquainted with it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Youtube (not sean connery or david watkins):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnINR005Zc

Is that the piece?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Composer’s Zabel, incidentally.

Speaking of harps in movies, I came across the end of a film called “Four Daughters” made in 1938, which had a harpist in it. Unfortunately, she was obviously not a real harpist, but the harp itself was a beautiful gold Gothic model, maybe an Erard. The story involves a family of musicians, but wouldn’t you know, the main character is the violinist.

David Ice
    Participant

Thank’s Barbara.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Glad you’re starting to feel better, David.

Sean Connery’s character gives a lecture following a harp recital at a ladies club, not by Gerald Goodman, but by a man who is unidentified, even though he has another scene giving a lesson.

Marguerite’s Spinning Wheel by Zabel, I think performed by Gail Laughton.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.