column

Harp piece in film “A Fine Madness”?

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp piece in film “A Fine Madness”?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

The thread title pretty much says it: Early in the film “A Fine Madness” the central character, a poet/harpist performed by Sean Connery, plays background music at a lunch in a fancy restaurant. WHAT was the piece? It sounded late-19th-century Romantic, but I only heard once, it years ago, and my memory is pretty vague. I seem to recall that the music goes on for awhile in the soundtrack, so it should be identifiable. I might even recognise it now if I could hear it again, but I didn’t know it then.

I think Joanne Woodward was also in this movie. Tried this question out in the Harplist a few years ago, which prompted a lot of interesting posts from people who recollected the film (a good one, a rather offbeat comedy showing Connery in a very different sort of role from the ones we associate him with). But nobody could name the piece or its composer.

Anyone out there who can help?

john-strand
    Participant

According to imdb, the composer for the films’ music was John Addison who I checked out in Wikipedia – turns out he has quite an impressive

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Bonnie,

Forgive my own poor memory (and I’m also still on strong painkillers which doesn’t help) but I think it is “Marguerite

David Ice
    Participant

Forgot to say that I’ve heard David Watkins play the piece many times, which is how I became acquainted with it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Youtube (not sean connery or david watkins):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnINR005Zc

Is that the piece?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Composer’s Zabel, incidentally.

Speaking of harps in movies, I came across the end of a film called “Four Daughters” made in 1938, which had a harpist in it. Unfortunately, she was obviously not a real harpist, but the harp itself was a beautiful gold Gothic model, maybe an Erard. The story involves a family of musicians, but wouldn’t you know, the main character is the violinist.

David Ice
    Participant

Thank’s Barbara.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Glad you’re starting to feel better, David.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.