harpcolumn

Harp Sighting — Old Movie

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp Sighting — Old Movie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’m watching “Pride and Prejudice” — the old 1940 version on TMC. Over and over again they show an old harp — looks like an Erard. Greer Garson “played” it. And they keep putting their hands on the gilt.

Briggsie

andy-b
    Participant

I love that movie! I haven’t watched it in awhile, so I’ll probably dig it out and take another look, but I remember the harp, too.

Another one with a harp is “Auntie Mame” with Rosiland Russel, but I believe that it’s only part of a backdrop to make the apartment look bigger. ( I could be wrong, I’ll have to watch it again, too, and pay more attention!)

Andy

john-strand
    Participant

Turner Classic Movies the other night – Jimmy Cagney in “Something to Sing About” (1937) in the first part of the movie they are on a stage with a band, and there is a big gold harp to the left – during one of the shots, Jimmy is doing a very energetic dance and dances over to the harp and kicks the strings to make a gliss – during

David Ice
    Participant

I saw on

I watch a lot of TVLand shows, in particular “I Love Lucy.” Any episode in Ricky Ricardo’s nightclub shows a beautiful big gold harp with a woman sitting at it. I love seeing that.

Briggs

kay-lister

Briggsie, thats where I fell in love with the harp.

Me either Kay. I love the humor…..the styles….still funny after all these years. I never even noticed the harp in that orchestra until recently. Weird.

rod-c
    Participant

Kay and Briggsie:

I am with you guys on I Love Lucy. I still watch reruns once in a while. The humor is almost timeless. The shows

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Rod,

That moment from I LOVE LUCY is one of my faves, too….and is considered a true classic moment from the golden age of Television.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Harp sightings:

I, too, love “I Love Lucy”, and have seen harps in other very unexpected places. Harps have appeared in lots

john-strand
    Participant

just saw a piece of Suddenly Last Summer where Katherine Hepburn is descending in the elevator – looks like an old Erard sitting in the background – –

unknown-user
    Participant

How many times is it the same old harp they dragged out of the prop room?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies