Harp Sighting — Old Movie

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #111631

I’m watching “Pride and Prejudice” — the old 1940 version on TMC. Over and over again they show an old harp — looks like an Erard. Greer Garson “played” it. And they keep putting their hands on the gilt.

Briggsie

Participant
    andy-b on #111632

I love that movie! I haven’t watched it in awhile, so I’ll probably dig it out and take another look, but I remember the harp, too.

Another one with a harp is “Auntie Mame” with Rosiland Russel, but I believe that it’s only part of a backdrop to make the apartment look bigger. ( I could be wrong, I’ll have to watch it again, too, and pay more attention!)

Andy

Participant
    john-strand on #111633

Turner Classic Movies the other night – Jimmy Cagney in “Something to Sing About” (1937) in the first part of the movie they are on a stage with a band, and there is a big gold harp to the left – during one of the shots, Jimmy is doing a very energetic dance and dances over to the harp and kicks the strings to make a gliss – during

Participant
    David Ice on #111634

I saw on

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #111635

I watch a lot of TVLand shows, in particular “I Love Lucy.” Any episode in Ricky Ricardo’s nightclub shows a beautiful big gold harp with a woman sitting at it. I love seeing that.

Briggs

kay-lister on #111636

Briggsie, thats where I fell in love with the harp.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #111637

Me either Kay. I love the humor…..the styles….still funny after all these years. I never even noticed the harp in that orchestra until recently. Weird.

Participant
    rod-c on #111638

Kay and Briggsie:

I am with you guys on I Love Lucy. I still watch reruns once in a while. The humor is almost timeless. The shows

Participant
    David Ice on #111639

Hi Rod,

That moment from I LOVE LUCY is one of my faves, too….and is considered a true classic moment from the golden age of Television.

Participant
    Fairy Reel on #111640

Harp sightings:

I, too, love “I Love Lucy”, and have seen harps in other very unexpected places. Harps have appeared in lots

Participant
    john-strand on #111641

just saw a piece of Suddenly Last Summer where Katherine Hepburn is descending in the elevator – looks like an old Erard sitting in the background – –

Participant
    unknown-user on #111642

How many times is it the same old harp they dragged out of the prop room?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.