john-strand

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: South Pacific on PBS #107854
    john-strand
    Participant

    Apropos this post, and a previous thread remarking on the sad demise of high school type programs for the performing arts – Nick Mayo is in the chorus in this production and has been with it since it opened on Broadway – he has also been an understudy for the part of Lt. Cable – he got his start here in San Antonio at the Northeast School for Performing Arts which is a magnet school branch of the Northeast Indpendent School District – they have turned out some incredibly talented folks over the years who are successful in the entertainment business and indeed, Nick went on to graduate from Julliard –
    unfortunately with all the current school funding woes NESA has been forced to charge 5200.00 tuition per student just to keep the program going for at least another year – this naturally eliminates any number of talented students who could otherwise benefit from an opportunity such as this – on the other hand, NEISD has just built another brand new state of the art football stadium – it just seems to me that if they could do that, they could find the money to fund this fantastic arts program – but then, football is king in Texas – – – too bad for talented kids in this area – – – –

    in reply to: Gross question about finish on harp #73988
    john-strand
    Participant

    Some years back I had some pink polishing compound from Lyon Healy that I used to polish out some scratches and work up a high gloss – LH doesn’t have it anymore, but you could try an auto polishing compound in a very very fine grade –

    in reply to: two finger gliss #83729
    john-strand
    Participant

    Hi – I use two finger glisses especially when I don’t have the pedals set for a gliss –

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106327
    john-strand
    Participant

    About 20 years ago – the bride and groom both wanted to walk down the aisle to the “Pink Panther” theme – you know – dead ant dead ant dead ant dead ant dead ant – – – – – – I tried to talk them out of it, but it was very special to them and they ended up just playing a tape of it for their entrance while I did all the rest of the music on harp

    in reply to: can you polish bridge pins and discs ? #74266
    john-strand
    Participant

    Hi Mike – glad you are enjoying your harp playing – they are quite the fascinating instrument –

    As to polishing discs – at this point in your career, I would have to vote a big time resounding “no” – and here’s why – you have just had the instrument regulated (and probably at no small expense) and by going after the individual discs, you risk knocking your harp badly out of regulation or possibly even breaking one of the little “fingers” – for now, I would suggest that you just look at the action plate as having more than a few miles on it and just enjoy the variations – just keep it well dusted –

    My harps are all over 20 years old and I have in the past

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102543
    john-strand
    Participant

    1952 – as a kid, I became fascinated with the sounds that Les Paul and Mary Ford were getting with the multiple guitar recording and reverb techniques – totally unlike the rest of pop music at the time – not long after that I ran across a recording of “Pink Champagne” by Robert Maxwell which was done in the Les and Mary multitrack and echo style – I was again fascinated both with the sound of the harp as well as the technical things going on – about that same time the family was stationed in London and I had the opportunity to be introduced to Maria Korchinska who was at the time the BBC harpist –

    in reply to: muted sound coming from one string #74758
    john-strand
    Participant

    Yes, my first thought is how the disc is grabbing the string – how does the string sound change when you change the pedal position?

    in reply to: Music written (or arranged) for harp & spoken word #108382
    john-strand
    Participant

    This is not written specifically for harp, but if you like Brandiswhiere,

    in reply to: Search function #108611
    john-strand
    Participant

    I thought it would be helpful finding entries on the green harp and ended up using the google search – it seems to me there was a search tab at one time within the column – wonder what happened?

    in reply to: 40 string older Salvi Daphne – army green? #74741
    john-strand
    Participant

    No, not sure of the age at all – the action plates were blank – now that I think about it, there was not even a Salvi logo on it. I thought if I had the serial, someone up at the factory might know about it.
    The green is rather reminiscent of the green that appears on very old Les Paul goldtops where the protective clear coat has worn off and the gold has gone green.
    Gibson also used a red color years ago for sunburst finishes that was famous for fading quickly even under the clear coat. (and it’s interesting that some of those old guitars are bringing the most money these days – go figure) Fender also experimented for a while with colors they called “wildwood” which was beechwood with dyes injected into the trees while they were still growing – blues, greens, browns, golds, in various combinations resulting in some very striking grain patterns and colorations – however, the few

    in reply to: vehicle rentals for moving a harp #74875
    john-strand
    Participant

    Sounds like you are good to go – I have an older Sienna and the rear seats either fold or are removable as is the bench seat in the middle – the Chrysler Town and country comes in a version where all the rear seats fold into the floor – I’ve also done this once in an older rental Ford Windstar by folding all the seats – the harp rode on its right side on top of the folded seats so the base was up pretty high – there would still be room to lay in a troubador – I think the current vans have a pretty wide range of seat folding options and you are sure to find something that will fit both harps – let us know what you end up with –
    John

    in reply to: vehicle rentals for moving a harp #74873
    john-strand
    Participant

    Pedal harps? Concert grande or smaller? Both in shipping trunks? What is your time frame – do you have time to fiddle with this or do you need to get it done right away?
    I get two concert grandes in their covers in my Toyota Sienna with the rear seats removed and the center bench seat back folded down – first harp goes in on its column on the right hand side between the sliding door and bench seat – its that little area that a passenger would normally use to access the rear seats – you can also engage the seat belt around the neck and the rear seat belt around the harp base –

    in reply to: YouTube Video #4 #108825
    john-strand
    Participant

    What a nice video – beautiful location – great miking on the harp – nice clear vid shots – and a great arrangement played exquisitely – bravo!

    Rod, he’s pushing on the string between the tuning peg and the stud to create the vibrato and/or raise pitch – takes a lot of strength to get much change in the pitch – same idea as the whammy bar on electric guitars –

    in reply to: Amplification for playing at dinners etc. #75154
    john-strand
    Participant

    Have a look at the Carvin Stagemate – its only available from the factory in california – they have a website – I have been using mine with the effects unit for about 10 years – it has 4 channel mixer with one input specifically for acoustic – I use 3 pickups for bass, midrange, and treble and blend them with the treble pickup going to the acoustic input – I spent a great deal of time fiddleing with it to get a good mix, and for the most part, people don’t realize that I am amped even with the reverb on the treble –
    I never never point a speaker at an audience – always bounce the sound off the wall behind me or the ceiling – for outdoor weddings I use one or two extra extension speakers 15-20 feet apart not for volume, but for coverage –
    be prepared to spend some time experimenting with pickup placement once you do pick an amp – a change in your volume setting will change the response characteristics

    in reply to: WARNING TO HARPISTS! GLUE GUNS! #108853
    john-strand
    Participant

    Here in deep Texas, fresh aloe vera is a standard sunburn remedy as well as treatment for any accidental burns – I have used it myself and highly recommend it – If you can’t find a plant, you can probably find fresh aloe vera bottled in a health food store – (real aficionados also drink the “gel” as an ulcer treatment)
    Your dilemma reminds me of a lesson learned many years ago the Friday afternoon before a Saturday morning wedding – Do NOT under ANY circumstances use the electric table saw for a “quick project” – I super glued my slashed thumb closed prior to the wedding, but it didn’t quite hold through the postlude and I ended up dripping blood on the soundboard – not what I would call my best moment, but the show did go on – – – –
    Good luck with your Christmas season – you aren’t by any chance doing any services up at Oral Roberts place are you??? You know the old joke about Oral tried to put out a record many years ago, but the hole kept healing up – – – –

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)