harpcolumn

WARNING TO HARPISTS! GLUE GUNS!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break WARNING TO HARPISTS! GLUE GUNS!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Harpists- beware lest you suffer my fate. I was helping my son with a school project. We were using a glue gun and I let the thing get ridiculously hot. While I was holding the thing to glue on, the base slipped. I quickly told my son to set it up again, but in those milli-seconds the glue oozed down onto the pad of my third right finger and the fingernail of my left second finger. After the screaming subsided I am left with two incredible blisters, of course two weeks before holiday cantatas, corporate gigs, and Christmas services. AAAAAAAAAA! Take my advice – shun glue guns until Epiphany or wear leather gloves.

rod-c
    Participant

Steven:

Ouch!

My aunt suggested putting toothpaste (not gel) on a small burn right after it happens; that it takes away the pain and won’t blister– she tried it and it worked. Has anyone done or heard of this?

tonya-a
    Participant

The only thing I’d put on a brand new burn would be COLD water – takes the heat out – blisters are sadly inevitable, but I find pressure with a bandaid can keep them small when I get one on my finger. Just make sure that the adhesive from the bandaid doesn’t touch the burn, or it would add insult to injury, so to speak.

Sorry – glue guns are scary things- I’ve switched to the ‘cool melt’ version because I’ve incurred far too many self-inflicted burns as you’ve described.

Signed –

Harpist, Mom, RN, PhD in burned fingers (my own, mostly)

Minnesota Harpist
    Participant

This is too late to help now, but for future reference…

john-strand
    Participant

Here in deep Texas, fresh aloe vera is a standard sunburn remedy as well as treatment for any accidental burns – I have used it myself and highly recommend it – If you can’t find a plant, you can probably find fresh aloe vera bottled in a health food store – (real aficionados also drink the “gel” as an ulcer treatment)
    Your dilemma reminds me of a lesson learned many years ago the Friday afternoon before a Saturday morning wedding – Do NOT under ANY circumstances use the electric table saw for a “quick project” – I super glued my slashed thumb closed prior to the wedding, but it didn’t quite hold through the postlude and I ended up dripping blood on the soundboard – not what I would call my best moment, but the show did go on – – – –
    Good luck with your Christmas season – you aren’t by any chance doing any services up at Oral Roberts place are you??? You know the old joke about Oral tried to put out a record many years ago, but the hole kept healing up – – – –

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies