harpcolumn

Why do you play the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Why do you play the harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi,
    My involvement had a very different basis, compared with most of the posters above.

paul-wren
    Participant

Hi Brook, Yes I am a Louisiana Boy! An proud of it 🙂 I saw Miss Belew just before Christmas and she is doing well and still going 100 miles per hour! She knows this story very well.

john-strand
    Participant

1952 – as a kid, I became fascinated with the sounds that Les Paul and Mary Ford were getting with the multiple guitar recording and reverb techniques – totally unlike the rest of pop music at the time – not long after that I ran across a recording of “Pink Champagne” by Robert Maxwell which was done in the Les and Mary multitrack and echo style – I was again fascinated both with the sound of the harp as well as the technical things going on – about that same time the family was stationed in London and I had the opportunity to be introduced to Maria Korchinska who was at the time the BBC harpist –

jessica-wolff
    Participant

In college we had regular meetings in a room that contained two small Irish harps. I fell in love with the look of them and took the first opportunity to hear what they sounded like (Susan Reed concert, small Irish harp). It was years before I could afford one, a used Troubadour. In order, I’ve played guitar, harp and banjo, sometimes with long hiatuses in between, and love them all, but if you put the desert-island scenario to me, the harp would win.

rod-c
    Participant

Hello:

I find it interesting that in virtually every case, those of us posting here were drawn to the harp the very first time we heard one being played. It is my sense that this may not

Donna O
    Participant

While working as a nurse on an oncology unit, there was a harpist who came in and played a small lap for the patients every week.

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

About 1968

holly-kemble
    Participant

When I was in Junior High, I sang with a children’s chorus that occasionally performed with the Chicago Symphony. For our Christmas program one year, we performed Britten’s ‘A Ceremony of Carols’ and Lynne Turner from the CSO brought her big, beautiful harp out to Glen Ellyn to play with us.

For those of you who are unfamilliar with this piece, it was originally written for Soprano I, Soprano II, and Alto, and is accompanied only by harp.

I thought it was the most beautiful instrument I had ever seen or heard!

I had already studied piano for several years and had just started viola lessons so I could play in the school orchestra. Unfortunately, the harp was not offered. And I thought

There is nothing better to do.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Saul,

Please explain your comment.

rod-c
    Participant

Saul:

You are a distinguished harpist from all that I have read. Do tell us what inspired you to play the harp?

Rod C.

mary-savard
    Participant

Like most of the response’s I fell in love immediately.

Sometimes I feel extinguished. As I said, there is nothing better to do. As in, nothing could be better than playing the harp. Everything is worse, lesser, coarser, cruder, lower, less interesting, less beautiful, etc.

The sound is what inspired me, the purity of it, the harmonics, the range of color, the organic act of finger flesh on string, the audibility of overtones. To me it is the music of the spheres, of God’s presence. The pure delight of Harpo in his harp.

alexandra coursen
    Participant

What a great response; hard to follow that one!

I was a classical pianist for 25 years. I also learned to love the sound of the harp from Britten’s Ceremony of Carols (the King’s

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

The

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics