jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Camac Janet #103401
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I plead guilty to teasing you from time to time.

    in reply to: See you all in September!!! #103250
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    (sigh of envy) Have a good trip!

    in reply to: Predatory competitor intervention #145855
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What do you want to bet she actually thinks she’s as good a harpist as the rest of you?

    in reply to: anyone going to NY Renaissance Faire? #103135
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    When I lived in New York, the Cloisters in northern Manhattan put on a (much more modest) Renaissance fair, distinguished by the totally wonderful venue (herb gardens, Unicorn Tapestries and so on). Great place to play harp and I love the Deborah Friou.

    in reply to: How many of you drive a NON Harp car?? #103430
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    2008 New Beetle. Will fit a small harp.

    in reply to: What Would You Like to See Happen? #103508
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    This is a pretty good list, and I particularly like the encouragement of harp and classical guitar. I’d like to add that every youth hostel should be provided with a guitar or other musical instrument to be made available to hostelers. And back-porch banjo should be encouraged.

    in reply to: Plans For Our Harps #102205
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The IHM is just the right place for my ram’s-head Erard; but what about an elderly Troubadour I?

    in reply to: best pop harp player #103614
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have to agree with that.

    in reply to: Options for small straight soundboard pedal harps #68818
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ve seen and heard one of those Style 12s. It was adorable!

    in reply to: Petite Suite or Veijo Zortzico? #165736
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    “Does not want to be in 5”? That’s an interesting way of putting it!

    Your advice later on about putting it on the table and tapping it out is good. I’d add that listening to a lot of Greek music in 5/8, 7/8 and 9/8 helps too.

    in reply to: So whatcha workin on now? #103728
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, I wouldn’t call it WORKING on, but just yesterday I tried out some Fats Domino on the harp; specifically, “Walkin’ to New Orleans.”

    in reply to: what’s your theme song? #103784
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The banjo is inherently bright, brassy, cheeky, in-your-face and all of that; but it can also be dark and brooding, even menacing. Listen to some of Dock Boggs’ songs, such as “Oh Death” or “Pretty Polly.”

    By and large, I am more likely to share pieces between harp and guitar than between harp and banjo. For example, it would not be odd to play the Bach Chaconne on harp and on guitar. The banjo is possessed of greater ‘tude (disrespectful). That’s one of the enjoyable things about playing three different instruments, all of them plucked strings but all different.

    in reply to: what’s your theme song? #103781
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have more than one theme song, and they aren’t necessarily “harp songs”–though of course I play them or try to play them on the harp. In general they are NOT lighthearted.

    in reply to: Swapping levers on a Troubadour? #69944
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    You might recapture part of the cost in harp strings. Those old Troubadour levers really chew up strings.

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146112
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What my mother would have called a “Schweinerei.” Nowadays with computers blasting news all over the place I don’t think they would dare try such sleazy tricks.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 602 total)