harpcolumn

Camac Janet

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Camac Janet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

hello all, well it’s been a whole 5 months since I have brought a new harp into my home!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I plead guilty to teasing you from time to time.

deb-l
    Participant

and I please guilty to thoroughly enjoying having rented and bought the harps that I have!

deb-l
    Participant

he hee have to go to Exhibit hall at Somerset festival to pick up my harp

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Take care of that elderly dog. I lost Ilyusha the Samoyed just a few months ago. He was 13.

deb-l
    Participant

sorry for your loss Jessica.

deb-l
    Participant

My first time at a harp festival, never imagined so many shapes and
    sizes of harps!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Deb, did you have the chance to take any workshops? I saw one Aziliz, a lighter colored one, at the VAHCenter exhibit early today. Was it yours? I’ve been looking forward to this weekend for months, and I sure haven’t been disappointed.

Enjoy the Aziliz- they’re great sounding harps!

deb-l
    Participant

hi Sherry,

sherry-lenox
    Participant

So that WAS your harp! Please do everything you can to get to take a workshop or workshop(s). It is amazing to me that those wonderful presenters can pack so much into such a short time.

The other great thing about going for the whole weekend is that it seems that every time I go, I have to change my mind about how or what I’m playing.

Celtic folk music is very important to me, I mean VERY important, but I never realized what a major factor it is until I went to some of the workshops at Somerset. Two GREAT workshops, one by William Jackson and one by Grainne Hambly gave me beginner’s tools for composition and arrangement, and accompanying with small harp- lots of new ideas and facts and interesting and useful insights.

A funny little story- I feel very confident saying that I absolutely loathe amplified music of any kind, so when I walked into a workshop on Saturday and saw three musicians “plugging in” I literally thought about getting up and walking out, BUT- it turned out to be one of the most amazing experiences of my weekend. Thank you April Vega and Harp46 for letting me put aside my uninformed assumption that anything amplified is awful!

Start planning TODAY Deb, and don’t let anything deter you for next year, and congrats for leaving with a beautiful new instrument!

deb-l
    Participant

hi Sherry, I was hoping to take Grainne’s workshop on improvisation but was happy that I at least got to see her in person in the food court.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Deb, I think I tried out your harp too. It was just lovely. Somerset was wonderful, and as someone who used loaner harps (thank you to the owner of the Timothy and the Triplett Eclipse!), it was a great reminder that you can play most types of music on different types of lever harps; yes some types of music might come more easily on different types of lever harps, but you can alter your technique to get the most from each instrument. The fast triplets of irish music are easier on fluorocarbon strings, but I’ve been learning to do them on my 21 year old Dusty 36 with nylon strings. Somerset puts me back in the mindset that I need to focus on practicing techniques versus imagining another instrument that will give me just the right sound. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed playing many of the harps in the vendor hall. So much beautiful craftsmanship, innovation, and variety of sounds, and it never hurts to keep in mind what your next harp might be…

deb-l
    Participant

hi Rachel, glad you got to play my harp!

miggles-biggles
    Participant

Hello – I can’t find many links on youtube for recordings of Janet… I’m wondering which is the best harp? Janet or Aziliz by Camac? There seems to be a lot of musicians using the Aziliz but not the Janet? (That I’ve been able to find). Are there any musicians using the Janet? I have just read the Janet has less spacing between the strings? Any information very welcome!

Deb and others,
    Pilgrim Harps of England has just announced a 15% reduction on all lever and pedal harps they have in stock. One could save over 2600. pounds Sterling, on a large purchase during this summer sale. These harps have modern technology and are preferred by quite a few soloists and orchestra harpists.

info@pilgrimharps.co.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies