harpcolumn

How many of you drive a NON Harp car??

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break How many of you drive a NON Harp car??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    J P
    Participant

I’ve been toying with the idea of keeping my jeep as my harp mobile and getting a much more fuel efficient vehicle for the many times I’m not hauling my harp. was just curious how many of you have done this? Did you love it? hate it? indifferent? what’s up!?

JP

Tim Kelly
    Participant

Is your goal to save money or is this mainly for convenience? How much does money factor into your decision? Personally, I like keeping things simple with one car. Over the long run having two cars could be cheaper, but initially the amount you save on gas wouldn’t be worth the price of a new (or used) vehicle. : )

Sylvia
    Participant

It’s not just gas.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

2008 New Beetle. Will fit a small harp.

Tim Kelly
    Participant

Good point. Having another car seems like it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

Depending on

kreig-kitts

You’d have to drive a ton for the gas savings to equal the extra maintenance and insurance of a second car, let alone the amount to obtain the vehicle itself. If I were in your shoes, I’d stick with the Jeep, and if I were getting a new car anyway, I’d get the most fuel efficient car I could reasonably afford that would carry my harp and other accessories.

Alison
    Participant

No way.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, in the US you can always get a van from a rental agency in an emergency, or in many cities (not where I am, alas) you can request a station wagon/van taxi if you don’t have any friends you can call on.

If you have a breakdown that’s going to prevent you from being able to get a loaner or rental that will serve, you’re most likely to have this happen on the way to a gig. It’s rare to be without your car for more than a day for a repair, although it’s not impossible, but I sure wouldn’t keep an extra car just for that rare occurrence.

To J P: I did what you’re suggesting in reverse when I first started playing out–I had a VW beetle and I bought an old clunker just to use when moving the harp. But for me it’s more sensible to have a single vehicle. There are reasonably efficient options out there if you can divest yourself of the prevailing mentality that a car needs to have room galore for everything you might conceivably sometime, someday want to tote in addition to you and your harp.

Another thing to keep in mind with this plan is your housing situation. If you have a single-family home with adequate parking and you plan to stay there long-term it’s not a problem, but over the years I’ve lived in several different complexes where there was only one assigned space per unit and people weren’t encouraged to take up the guest parking with extra vehicles.

Personally, I would love for there to be a more cost-effective version of the Tesla X or a wagon version of the Chevy Volt, but then I wouldn’t have anywhere to plug it in, anyway. 🙂

And if you live in some urban areas you may be able to use a zipcar when you don’t need the harp with you.

louise-vickerman
    Participant

I have only owned a Mazda Miata roadster.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

My harp car is a Mazda MPV minivan.

sharon-avis–2
    Participant

I drive a 2005, Chevy Malibu Hatchback.

kreig-kitts

Sharon, when you said “both my 85 CG and my 44-string pedal harp”, did you mean at the same time? If so, that’s quite impressive.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.