jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp-pooned! #73459
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    It’s true–you have to see them, hear them and play them in person.

    in reply to: Your favorite kind of music to play? favorite pieces? #106395
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Whoever it was liked Dowland: I think “The King of Denmark’s Gaillard” would sound good on harp.

    in reply to: books for daily exercises and music theory #158421
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That book also covers Dorian and Mixolydian modes and how to accompany them.

    in reply to: Harp Art in Washington D.C.! #107715
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Surely you mean Louisa’s harp?

    in reply to: ‘bright’ tone color #155356
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    “Warm” is generally regarded as the opposite of “bright,” yes. Say Triplett as opposed to Dusty Strings. Can’t speak to the other matter, having no experience with Salvis.

    in reply to: CD recommendations needed #149520
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Not a CD but an LP (but perhaps it’s available on CD by now): Osian Ellis (harp) & Desmond Dupre (lute), Handel’s B-flat Concerto for Lute and Harp.

    Also the harp version of Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez, a guitar concerto, and I think it’s Zabaleta on harp.

    in reply to: Cunningham harps #72096
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That’s curious–going by the sound samples on his site, the Neoclassical sounds more metallic than the metal-strung!

    in reply to: ‘my’ full size harp #107728
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Among the banjo crowd, this is known as BAS, banjo acquisition syndrome. It seems that there is such a thing as HAS also. You have a very sensible stable of harps, though, Diana.

    in reply to: Congratulations Leslie! #158429
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Did I goof? Have I matched the wrong harpist with the wrong harp? If so, sorry.

    in reply to: Congratulations Leslie! #158428
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’m confused. You mean it’s actually mahogany and not just mahogany finish? I didn’t know that was an option. Whatever, I’ll bet it’s a stunner. I’ve seen a photo of the Laurel Leaf in a natural (maple) finish, and the effect was entirely too subtle. The gold leaf on that model shows up much better on a dark ground. (I also saw one in ebony finish.)

    in reply to: Standards #166251
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    YouTube is indeed a valuable resource. Never mind that the performances are presented higgledy-piggledy as they are. Pick a piece you know well and have strong feelings about and track down five or six versions of it. You will learn something from it, at least what the parameters are. As for the YouTube audiences being uncritical, look at the comments below the video. Some of them are very critical, and not always informed. In general, you can tell the amateurs and pros or future pros from each other very easily, even when they present themselves as pros but aren’t.

    in reply to: My New harp is on it’s way! #158470
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Here’s hoping your harp arrives just about when I’m typing this.

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156620
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have found one of our members on YouTube, but since her video was shortly afterward made “private,” I have to assume she’s shy. So, sorry, no name.

    in reply to: Grammy award winning harpists #106076
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Deborah Henson-Conant and Loreena McKennitt have both been NOMINATED for a Grammy (and have both won plenty of other awards).

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158393
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, in my case, I’m just under 5’0″, so like small cars and small horses, they just seem to fit right.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 602 total)