harpcolumn

single and multiple harp owners

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists single and multiple harp owners

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Just curious how many people have only one harp, are happy with it and not thinking of trading up or getting an additional harp at some point.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

What I like best about my individual harps is their difference in tone and sustain…My favorite harp, if I had to pick one, is by far the walnut Dusty Strings 36S..It has, to my ears, the most absolutely brilliant tone for a variety of different music, from Celtic to Classical.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I like my different harps because, well, they are different.

Pedal

Lever

Electric Lever

They each have their place in my musical tool box.

If

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I have only one harp in playing order and it has a decent tone, a Lyon & Healy Troubadour I. If I had my druthers, though, I might well go for something else. I play classical and folk. The other harp, an Erard ram’s-head single-action, inspires me. It lifts my heart every time I look at it.

deb-l
    Participant

Gloria, DS works for classical?

kay-lister

I have a Thormahlen Swan 36 lever and a L&H 85E

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Yes it does…Check this YouTube video out by Paula Smith, she’s playing Vissi D’arte (Puccini) on a Dusty 36B (try to ignore the sales pitch, she’s a rep. for Morley Harps)…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNEl1qBVURo

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I have a DS 36 (maple but with a warm, projecting tone–very much a
    professional grade lever harp) and it works for classical.

holly-kemble
    Participant

I have a Rees Aberdeen Meadows that I really love. Rich, warm tone, wonderful sustain. I play it in the Celtic Harp group I perform with.

I also have a 26 string Irish Harp built by Craig Pierpont of Another Era Lutherie in Kentucky. It is for travel and I hope to play in hospitdals and hospice. It has a retractable cello peg that lets me sit and play, and also pegs for a guitar strap to play while standing. For a little harp, it has a big tone.

I can’t imagine not having both.

I covet a Lyon and Healy 23 or 30 pedal harp. We’ll see….I’ll have to rearrange my furniture to make room!

deb-l
    Participant

Gloria, you’re right classical sounds very rich on a Dusty FH36.

deb-l
    Participant

Seems almost everyone has a pedal harp as their favorite or hopes to have one someday.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Deb,

I don’t own a pedal harp, and don’t wish to.

deb-l
    Participant

that’s a fantastic video.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I’m with Michael- don’t own a pedal harp, and don’t EVER want one. They just don’t suit me, and I really don’t understand what the fuss is all about. Frankly, I don’t even like the way they look. But that is just me, and everyone has different tastes.

I have three harps, and love each one. My wire-strung Limerick and

sherry-lenox
    Participant

My ebony 85P was a great buy off the L&H CPO list.

Being a little “seasoned” myself, I have no objection to a used instrument in excellent shape, and that’s what the 85P was. I won’t bother to get into the economics, but it was far less expensive than even the very economical Chicago.

You have to keep your eyes open and be ready to jump!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.