harpcolumn

single and multiple harp owners

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists single and multiple harp owners

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Alice Avery
    Participant

Hi, Deb,

I’ve been playing harp for 4 years and started out with a Mid-east Minstral 29; purchased before I knew anything about harps.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

I own two beautiful customs harp, both of which I absolutely adore:
    – Thormahlen Swan in Koa (36-stings)
    – Lewis Creek Nightingale (27-string therapy harp)

Up until recently, I would have said that I feel I have all I need for the rest of my life. Well, then Heartland Harps came along with their new Infinity 36-string carbon fiber harp (http://heartlandharps.com/infinity.html). While part of me resists the concept of a “plastic” harp (yikes!), I am very intrigued by the idea of having an instrument that is small, light weight, virtually undestroyable and that has 36 strings. This sure would make a great travel companion on road trips as well as air travel. And it has an amazing voice too.

I think Heartland Harps came up with a winner! While in my mind, a carbon fiber harp would never replace a traditional wooden harp, it sure makes for a great additional instrument. Unfortuanately, the price is a whammy…, ouch!

Something to ponder for the future…. :-)

andy-b
    Participant

I have two harps, a Camac Athena concert grand pedal harp and a Thormahlen Serenade lever harp. I don’t do much gigging, but I like having harps with two such different voices. Plus, when I do arranging or composition, I can check both lever and pedal changes by having one of each type of harp.

deb-l
    Participant

Karen, such a bad influence for us sensible types, I don’t think your done yet!

KarenA
    Participant

I have:

1. A 36-string Thormahlen Koa Swan (one of the best in world, my main performing harp)

2. A 36 string Blevins Riversong mahogany (nice sound but cracked where neck and pillar meet so required repair)

3. A 29-string Blevins Eden walnut (nice sound but also cracked where neck and pillar meet)

4. A 26-string Dusty String FH 26 in maple (also one of the best mid-sized harps around)

5. A 22-string Stoney End Brittany in walnut (one of the best lap harps, I truly in love with it)

I hope I don’t buy any more as we are running out of room in the house. But now I am eyeing the Grand Harpsicle…must resist!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Gosh, how old are your Blevins harps?

KarenA
    Participant

Less than 6 months! I was truly disappointed. Comparing it with my other harps, the workmanship isn’t as good as the Thormahlen and Dusty Strings. I live in a tropical country by the way and all were subjected to the same climate so there is no excuse.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Were they under warranty?

Sylvia Clark

I teethed on pedal harps at the University when I was a student.

karen
    Participant

I am a two harp girl as of last week! I have a Dusty Strings FH-32 in beautifully figured sapele wood. I LOVE my Dusty and have no plans to get rid of it but am REALLY loving my new Pratt Chamber Harp. Those extra 4 strings are pretty fabulous too! No plans to get a third but years from now, who knows?!
    Currently, I play the Pratt because it is so new and I am so enamored with it!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

If I had the money, I could easily be tempted by a really small pedal harp, such as the Lyon & Healy style 12 or 14. In that case, I might also be tempted to turn in my Troubadour I for a smaller harp such as the Merlin. As is, though, I can live with what I have.

deb-l
    Participant

we seem to have that in common Jessica, I’m not sure what it is about the small pedal harps!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Well, in my case, I’m just under 5’0″, so like small cars and small horses, they just seem to fit right.

Leslie Davis
    Participant

Well, in my case, and since possession is 9/10ths of the law, I’d say I am the proud owner of approximately 8/10ths of one harp since my harp is here in Colorado Springs, but I’ve yet to receive it!

But seriously, I don’t ever see myself purchasing another harp which is why I spent ‘many moons’ researching and comparing different harps so that I would, hopefully, choose just the right

deb-l
    Participant

Karen, is it hard to go back and forth between harps with very different string tensions?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies