harpcolumn

books for daily exercises and music theory

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists books for daily exercises and music theory

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Hi all,

I know I won’t find both in the same book, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions for intermediate level daily scales and arpeggio exercises, and also good books that I can learn from to arrange the left hand when I only have the melody.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Two books I have came to mind: Sylvia Woods Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harp and Deborah Friou’s Exercises for Agility and Speed. I also like Salzedo’s Conditioning Exercises.

Sylvia’s book is nice for figuring out left-hand patterns when all you have is a lead sheet with chords. She also explains how to figure out chords if you only have a melody line. She gives several examples of different patterns in different time signatures as well.

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Karen, I will check them out!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

That book also covers Dorian and Mixolydian modes and how to accompany them.

tony-morosco
    Participant

All of Karen’s recommendations are excellent, and exactly what I would have recommended.

In addition I like The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Music Theory. It is actually a very good intro to music theory. Sylvia’s book is more harp specific (really lever harp specific), but the Idiot’s Guide covers a lot more ground and gives a better overall understanding of the basics of Music Theory.

Sylvia’s book is enough for you to learn to do what you want to do regarding arranging basic accompaniment patters for the left hand, but I think most musicians can benefit from a more in depth understanding of theory, and the Idiot’s guide gives that, but still stays simple enough that most people can comprehend the entire book without the need of a teacher.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Tony, I’ll check that one out too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies