harpcolumn

Cunningham harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Cunningham harps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Has anyone seen the

deb-l
    Participant

hmm sorry don’t know what happened to the rest of my post?

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Deb:

I saw one at the Atlanta Harp Center last November. The sound was amazing…I was surprised at what a big voice this harp has. An easy touch brings out a lot of sound, and it’s very rich. But the string tension is too light for me, personally. It’s lighter than a Dusty or a Thormahlen, for example. Bob’s harps are well made, and lovely to

kreig-kitts

I’ve seen the pictures – it’s very pretty. He makes good harps – a lot of harp teachers in Georgia recommend his

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Kreig and Andy!

deb-l
    Participant

yikes no holes in the back of the harp, wonder how you change the strings?

Joyce White
    Participant

He makes lovely harps with a lovely warm sound. .

jessica-wolff
    Participant

That’s curious–going by the sound samples on his site, the Neoclassical sounds more metallic than the metal-strung!

kreig-kitts

My favorite is the hammerchord, under “more instruments” on his site. That looks like a fun thing to play.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

This new model you’re asking about, the Neoclassic, is very different from his previous models. It’s true, no soundboard holes in the back. The strings kind of are twisted around a little knob on the soundboard, very different from what we’re all used to. But I imagine you could get used to this, just a new skill. I did not care for the blade levers, but that’s just me. I thought It was strung with fluorocarbon since it reminds me of my Sandpiper Nova, bit I’m pretty sure it has nylon strings. I think he’s going for a historical reproduction feel with this harp.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Sorry, it’s gut strung, not nylon. Not sure if that means folk gut or concert gut.

deb-l
    Participant

He’s very innovative doubtless!

brenda-lee
    Participant

I bought a Cunningham harp about 10 years ago and I still LOVE it.

brenda-lee
    Participant

Deb, I bought a 35 string Cunningham about 13 years ago and it still sounds absolutely beautiful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.