jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Can’t learn, whats an option #157752
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Pain in your shoulders, at least in the right shoulder, sounds as if you’ve been playing Salzedo method, elbows up, but raising the shoulder at the same time. I did that and really had to work on relaxing that shoulder. Suggestion: massage, exercise, or a long hot soak.

    Before you hook up with another teacher, do you have a good idea of what you want to play (obviously not classical)?

    For me, playing harp (or guitar or banjo) does just the opposite. It takes away the tensions of the world outside.

    in reply to: Faure Sicilienne, Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez #149066
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I thought the Concierto de Aranjuez had been transcribed for harp by Rodrigo himself. Incidentally, the solo guitar part gives the guitarist a real workout. I don’t know whether it’s true of the harp as well.

    in reply to: Musicians or Dreamers? #107327
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Oh, well put, Carl!

    My father, who was decidedly not a visionary, once advised a younger man to always have two professions. The younger man did very well for himself and was always grateful to my father. (And yes, my father took his own advice.)

    in reply to: Can’t learn, whats an option #157749
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    AFTERTHOUGHT I hear this all the time from banjo players who seem to think they’re in some kind of competition to get to a certain level lickety-split. They aren’t, and you aren’t.

    in reply to: Can’t learn, whats an option #157748
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    And replace those broken strings!

    Recommendation: try to get hold of some of the Suzuki pieces for harp. I know, I know: basic. But your success with those may push you on.

    in reply to: used Lyon and Healy shamrock or brand new for first harp? #72788
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Like some of the others here, I have heard negative things about the Shamrock. Basically that L & H had set out to make an actual folk harp (which the Troubadour isn’t) and not quite succeeded. But I’ve never actually heard one. Most of the Dustys and Tripletts you would be considering AREN’T in the same price range, alas! unless you go for something like the Ravenna 34.

    What kind of music do you think you’ll be playing down the road? Folk? That will play a role in your choice.

    in reply to: professional grade lever harp #149010
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, Rick Rubarth uses fluorocarbon for the Merlin and it projects well. It’s considerably smaller and lighter than the Troubadour (for example). Then there’s Josephus Harps’ Heritage model, slightly shorter and lighter than the Ana.

    in reply to: Am I too old to learn harp? #157625
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What Barbara and Michaela said. Except that I would add that the harp is considered the most beautiful instrument by some of us but surely not all! Back to what Barbara said, we’re currently living in a rotten economy, which is affecting everybody. A lot of harpists are making a living primarily by playing at weddings and other events, which means worrying about getting that large and expensive instrument unscathed to and from the event.

    in reply to: theory question #83515
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I probably have a lot of nerve answering this question, but it seems to me that when you are in a key with sharps, you would express an augmented interval as a sharp. A diminished interval too. Or is that not what you meant?

    in reply to: Future festivals #107359
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, I’ve heard/seen him on YouTube, and he is impressive.

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104475
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The keys are spaced like harp strings? That’s interesting.

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104468
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Sorry to hear that, but if it helps pay for the Prelude–!

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104466
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Deb! Don’t forget your neglected cello!

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104462
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, I don’t mind flipping levers and I never liked the piano. The usual argument in favor of the piano, that you can learn theory from it best–well, I can see the structure of a chord better from the harp than from that sea of white that is the piano.

    But I’m leaving out one important aspect: the tactile. All three instruments I play (guitar, harp, banjo) involve directly touching the strings. It’s a more intimate way of playing. (I do like the harpsichord, which is plucked strings rather than struck strings like the piano, but I don’t want to play it.)

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155252
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks for your reply, Samarpana. What about the bass strings and the nylon strings? Do you get them from RR or some other source? (In which case, I assume Rick supplies specs?)

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 602 total)