harpcolumn

favorite harp Xmas CD?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break favorite harp Xmas CD?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Do you have a favorite harp Xmas CD, solo or in ensemble?

Jerusha

I don’t have many harp Christmas CDs but of those I have my favorites are Joy to the World by Cynthia Cathcart, solo wire harp, and On Christmas Morn by Pamela Bruner.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

My favorite Holiday CD is Àine Minogue’s “To Warm The Winter’s Night”,

adam-b-harris
    Participant

I’m in the process of recording a Christmas CD with harp, so I have recently bought up everything I could find that was remotely related as reference material.

Christmas with the St James Harp Quartet is a stand out. There is not much in the way of liner note information and the cover isn’t much to look at. What makes it such an excellent CD is their approach to the material, imaginative arranging and reharmonization techniques breathe new life into the old classics.

Its a CD I could happily listen to all year round. It has given me a standard to aspire to in my recording.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I love the Xmas music of Carol Reid and Tim Hayes (harp and flute), but I don’t think that their CD’s are in print anymore.

kreig-kitts

As

My new favorite is Rosalind Simpson’s “Christmas in Santa Fe” with the Santa Fe Desert Chorale. Beautiful! Rita Costanzi’s “Pastorales de Noel” is also fantastic. I guess I couldn’t leave off Salzedo’s “Christmas Carols in HiFi”. Or Gene Bianco’s “Joy to the World: Everybody’s Favorite Christmas Music”.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Not a favorite Christmas harp CD, but my Christmas/Advent/Liturgical playlist on YouTube. I searched YouTube for my favorite carols and selected my favorite version or versions, several of them with harp accompaniment:

Es Ist ein Ros’ Entsprungen

Maria Duch ein Dornwald Ging

Minuit, Chretiens (O Holy Night)

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Once in Royal David’s City

The Boar’s Head Carol

Leise Rieselt der Schnee

Stille Nacht (Silent Night)

I have also played or attempted to play all of these myself

Carlos Salzedo’s LP and Jennifer Hoult’s new recording of the same, and John LaMontaine’s Wonder Tidings and Service of Lessons and Carols (featuring Florence Wightman, and Carol Baum).

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Judy Loman with the Toronto Childrens Choir playing Ceremony of Carols

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thanks so much for responding, everyone!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.