jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106699
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Retrospective: things I used to play, such as Borodin, “Polovetsian Dances.” New: Vivaldi, from the Four Seasons. I wish I could come up with something in the way of a tribute to a cat who died just before Christmas. She was bold and brassy and very much the alpha cat, and she was the only one to realize that my Samoyed puppy, however large, was nothing but a puppy, whereupon she adopted him. (He is now 11.) She also had a very low-pitched meow.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106857
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    In that case, I guess I have hugged my harp and my guitar and banjo too; but I’d just as soon hug my cat, and she gives off vibrations too (purrs).

    in reply to: Favorite Folk Music Arranger #106919
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Deb, if you know that Vivaldi or Joanambrosio Dalza composed it or that Vicenzo Galilei (Galileo’s papa) is believed to have composed it, then it’s not folk.

    “Plaisir d’Amour” is often sung by folk singers (including me), but it’s not a folk song (composed by Giovanni Martini aka Martini il Tedesco in a classical context).

    Spirituals are folk songs even when sung by opera singers. They rarely sound good when sung by opera singers; opera singers have too much voice. (That’s my opinion; don’t get mad at me.)

    in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157398
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Florence Foster Jenkins was not merely a bad singer, she had the chutzpah to tackle the Queen of the Night.

    Current harp favorite: the Handel B-flat lute and harp concerto with the lute included (Satoh).

    Like the Loreena McKennitt too. Also Celso Duarte, both Sr. and Jr.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Reminds me of an illustration in the Biography of P.D.Q. Bach.

    in reply to: how often does your harp need tuning? #148699
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I vary between tuning the harp to itself and going the whole hog with electronic tuner, but at least every other day.

    in reply to: Favorite Folk Music Arranger #106912
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The definition of what is and isn’t folk has changed radically. It used to be confined to songs of which the composer isn’t known. But in fact some “folk” songs turn out to be Victorian parlor ballads (“Wildwood Flower”) or minstrel songs (“Oh, Susannah”). Then there are the folklike or honorary folk songs, such as “Dona, Dona” (Yiddish musical theatre), “They Call the Wind Mariah” (musical), anything by Woody Guthrie, various singer/songwriter songs. Actually, some people call it a folk song as long as it’s played on acoustic instruments, I’ll be danged if I understand why.

    in reply to: Lawrence Video #83534
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, thanks for calling attention to it.

    in reply to: Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute? #106155
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Saul brought up the question of balance. I’m guessing he meant something like this: Vivaldi’s D-major lute concerto is most often played with a guitar doing the lute part. I have heard it played on a lute, though, and the violins kept drowning out the lute. Is that what you meant by balance, Saul? If so, and if the harp part is being played on a modern harp, would the lute have a problem being heard?

    in reply to: favorite composer for the harp (any kind) #148768
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’m tempted to say Handel, though he didn’t really compose that much for the harp.

    in reply to: Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute? #106153
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks, Paul. Is the concerto harder to play on a pedal harp?

    in reply to: pet peeve? #106940
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Reminds me of an instrument repairman’s response when I said (this about 50 years ago) wistfully how much I would like to play the harp: “It’s such a limited instrument.

    Hello, limited? Fortunately I ignored him.

    in reply to: Building a harp from scratch #72584
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Sitka spruce is fine for soundboards (on both harps and guitars), but not for backs and sides.

    in reply to: buying lever harp.. #82688
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have such a harp, with its original string-chewing levers, but recently regulated and restrung by a traveling harp technician. I agree that $1,500 is too much; harps of that era are going for $900 to $1,000 at best. One of our members, though, acquired one in iffy shape for $300 or $400, had it redone, new levers and all, and I believe she spent $1,500 for the job. That was a few years ago. Most people would say “not worth it”; but she ended up with a great harp. Quite a few harpists think that the Troubadour I has a better sound than Troubadours II-III-IV-V-VI. It’s also 3″ shorter and more portable than its successors.

    Keep in mind that the technician cannot use the original holes but has to drill new ones when replacing the original levers. Keep in mind also that if the neck has warped badly or the soundboard has bellied up excessively, then it really may NOT be worth it. (Neither condition applied in my case.)

    When I got my first sight of my Troubadour back in the late ’70s, I thought, “Good god! What an ugly harp!” But you know what? With the glut of Celtic-style or classical-style lever harps on the market, my harp, with its Gothic outline, is no longer ugly. In fact, it’s distinctive. Last night I had a belated New Year’s Eve (Bowle, a wine and champagne punch with raspberries and nectarines; shrimp remoulade; cheeses with smoked ham and black bread; and harp music) with some friends. They thought the harp was gorgeous, both the sound and the looks. Guitars and banjos stayed in their cases, because we were all having too much fun with the harp.

    Loreena McKennitt plays one of these antiquated Troubadours (but with replaced levers). Take a look at her on YouTube playing “She Moved Through the Fair” at the Alhambra.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps going all-carbon fiber #72495
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    If you live in humid Florida, that’s a pretty good reason to use nylon strings. Though I have been tempted to try nylgut or fluorocarbon or othersuch strings.

    But back to Heartland: I am astonished that there is so much call for the carbon-fiber harps that Dave doesn’t have time for the lovely wooden harps any more.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 602 total)