harpcolumn

Heartland Harps going all-carbon fiber

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Heartland Harps going all-carbon fiber

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Saul said:

> I would like something other than nylon, but have not found anything
    suitable, and at least they are made of petroleum product, which is sort
    of natural.

Have you tried Pirazzi’s?

Do you mean Pirastro, by any chance? That is what I use. Doug Rioth played on my harp not so long ago, and I asked him about my stringing, and he said, more or less,

deb-l
    Participant

Pirastro makes 10 different types of strings for cellos, Eva Pirazzi is one type, that’s what I have on my cello.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

If you live in humid Florida, that’s a pretty good reason to use nylon strings. Though I have been tempted to try nylgut or fluorocarbon or othersuch strings.

But back to Heartland: I am astonished that there is so much call for the carbon-fiber harps that Dave doesn’t have time for the lovely wooden harps any more.

Christian Frederick
    Participant

I can assume that a carbon fiber harp would improve the tuning stability of a harp. That would be great! I’ve heard a carbon fiber violin and the sound was absolutely beautiful!

This is pure speculation but I wonder if it’s so he can go into semi-retirement or prepare to pass the business on?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I doubt that, Jennifer. He seems to be very much hands-on with this, although some parts of production must be done in specialized facilities.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Hmmmmm….interesting bit about the factory outsourcing. I think I’ll call Dave and ask him about this. I just took it for granted he made these harps himself.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

He told me he has to take them to a NASCAR facility to get them properly baked, Karen. That’s a lot of the cost.

Denise Grupp-Verbon
    Participant

If you would like to try Heartland Harps — Carbon Fiber harps, Dave will be exhibiting at The Harp Gathering, May 13-15, 2011 in Northwest Ohio.

http://www.harpgathering.com

Karen Johns
    Participant

He is? But Pamela won’t be there though- I just saw an update from THG on FB. Really wanted to see Pamela, but if I could get a chance to try out the CF harps still, hmmmm…..

Do you get the FHJ?

Angela Biggs

I emailed them months ago from their contact page, and they never responded.

Angela Biggs

Thank you for posting! I’ve been wanting a CF harp by Heartland since I learned about them, but I was very fortunate to purchase an exquisite second-hand Sylvan a few months ago. I love the harp so much, and have daydreamed about getting Heartland’s lap harp model someday. I am a little sad that’s not going to happen!

On the other hand, the Infinity will be much more versatile, with all the benefits of a lap harp (size, weight, ability to play standing). Plus it would fit in my car. Guess I’ll just have to set my sights a little higher. 🙂

Mike Baldwin
    Participant

I think this is a fantastic and brave development – I hope those who doubt this move will suspend their preconceptions and embrace these instrument. Of course there is a place for timber harps but it’s also necessary to develop instruments and the construction process and new materials are constantly being applied to harp (mostly unseen). Carbon fibre harps have been made before, some very successfully, and the weight reduction, strength and tone will hopefully surprise those who are unconvinced. As there is more than one way to ‘skin a pig,’ there are many ways to make harps (and materials from which they can be made). The more variety available the better.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies