jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 20 year old Salvi Ana #70634
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Mazal tov, Deb, and I hope your car’s big enough to accommodate it!

    in reply to: Screen names #104776
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Lizzie, you also can’t edit your posts on HarpColumn and there’s no search function. BTW I love your playing on YouTube.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    They’re listed in the description. For example, “Dyads,” and they finish off with an Andean dance called a cueca. Some of the titles are in [Czech?]

    in reply to: Your dream harp? #104830
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’d like two or three. (1) My antique single-action Erard gloriously restored; a chamber-size double-action–one of the smallest L & Hs or a Pilgrim’s Progress. (2) A Josephus Heritage in cherry or an R-Harps Merlin. (3) A metal-strung modeled after the Queen Mary or the Trinity College but not as fancy.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp String Tension: TIGHT! #156723
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Seems to me the only pedal harps with fairly light tension are the antiques. Your switching back to the Merlin off and on is probably a good idea.

    in reply to: Salzedo’s fixation on the number 5. #146914
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, duh! I did not mean to suggest that Basques were Greek. I have traveled in the Basque country and in Greece.

    in reply to: Salzedo’s fixation on the number 5. #146907
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I think of all those Greek songs in 5/8, 7/8 and 9/8.

    in reply to: leg cramp? #104890
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Note that “front half of the stool.” I had a reaction from playing not harp but guitar (classical). Sitting farther forward relieved it.

    in reply to: Harp Healing for Depression #156459
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    For me, it doesn’t have to be the harp–guitar and banjo will do it as well. Even–you’ll think this is crazy–listening to someone else play blues will take me out of the blues.

    in reply to: Harp learning with Straight versus Extended soundboard #146960
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I like straight. Not a question of appropriateness, though.

    in reply to: Much older Triplett Axline, considering purchase #70805
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    If you have a low voice, as I do, an overly high-pitched accompaniment can be disconcerting.

    in reply to: Nail polish #102952
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Generally, painting your nails is not likely to keep them healthy; just the opposite. Aesthetically, the subtlest of semitransparent tones is the least disturbing (for a musician, I mean).

    I have a different nail problem; I have longish nails on one hand (play guitar and banjo as well as harp). Yes, it sounds scratchy on the harp. But I defy you to play a fast tremolo on the guitar without nails. The usual devices are not an option, not with classical guitar.

    in reply to: New Ideas for Music? #104923
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Delve into folk or folklike music. By “folklike,” I mean “They Call the Wind Mariah” or “I Was Born Under a Wandering Star” from musical comedy or “Donna, Donna” and “Rumeniya” from Yiddish musical comedy/Klezmer. None of those is upbeat except the last, but there is “Oleanna” (American folk song) or “La Bastringue” (French Canadian folk).

    in reply to: high class gig; cheesy pay #103871
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just unbelievable! I too would worry about this wacko’s taking it out on the harp if I just walked off. And I would not like to have him driving behind me on the expressway. He’s flat-out crazy.

    in reply to: Guitar Chords Chart #104965
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Can’t think why you would WANT to use guitar chord charts. (Yes, I play guitar too.) For starters, so many guitar chords are inversions.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 602 total)