harpcolumn

Much older Triplett Axline, considering purchase

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Much older Triplett Axline, considering purchase

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tamara-murphy
    Participant

Opinions are appreciated. For all intents and purposes, i’m a beginner, though i studied pedal harp for a short while many years ago.

I’ve just come across a roughly 20-year-old Triplett Axline 30. I’m renting it for the next few weeks to take lessons on, but I’d like to know your thoughts on purchasing an older model like this.

I should say that what I fell in love with was the sound–so much sound for a reasonably small harp, and clear, bell-like tones.

I “played” it next to a much newer R Harp, and a Dusty Strings FH 32, and while they were both gorgeous–such lush low tones on that R!–I found myself returning to the Triplett.

It has a couple of issues, some cosmetic, and some which may become bigger issues–dings to the finish in a few places, a small crack in the fore pillar, and a grain line crack (no separation, yet) in the lower portion of the soundboard.

Also, I know a little about Triplett’s current construction methods from their website, but I’m curious about the older models, and how well they hold up. I love this harp, but I wonder if I’m finding it at the end of it’s functional life? What is the “life expectancy rate” for a lever harp, anyway?

Any opinions, suggestions, etc. are much appreciated. And if you can suggest a fair price to offer, I’d appreciate that too. 😉

Thanks so very much for sharing your knowledge. I’m so looking forward to this journey.

andee-craig
    Participant

When I was shopping for my harp I also was going back and forth between the Triplett Axline and a Dusty 32!

tamara-murphy
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ve since “played”–and asked actual players to play for me–this battered and well-used harp alongside a gorgeous Rees Glen Aulin, and another Dusty, and I confess I’m still just enchanted by the sound of the old Axline.

But will the cracked soundboard become an issue? There are two large cracks, each running with the grain, all the way across the width of the soundboard. Here’s where my ignorance really bothers me: the voice of the harp is still gorgeous despite the cracks, but how will the harp hold together if the soundboard is broken?

Also, the I have no idea (and the owner doesn’t seem to know either) what kind of levers are on this harp, since they don’t really look like any of the ones commonly used now. If one fails, I’d likely need to replace them all, wouldn’t I?

All in all, it’s simply that I fell in love with the “voice” of this particular harp–and if I understand properly, *that* is a very individual quality. Even another Axline will have a different sound, right?

So what to do when you’ve fallen in love with a harp which may or may not last another winter? And is there any way to tell?

Thanks again, for your kind suggestions, and for listening to my rambles.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Tamara:

andee-craig
    Participant

My Dusty Strings has a crack in the soundboard similar to the one you’ve described on yours and like the poster before me said, it’s nothing to worry about.

tamara-murphy
    Participant

Nope, not sure at all. ;). I’m just enchanted with the sound of this one. It’s not a rational process at all, really. I never intended to get a floor harp right now–it was just *this* one.

My travel harp will be a cherry double-strung Brittany from Stoney End, so I’ll have plenty of strings,, though not true bass range.

Since I mostly want to accompany myself while I sing, I’m hoping it won’t be an issue for awhile. maybe it will, though?

jessica-wolff
    Participant

If you have a low voice, as I do, an overly high-pitched accompaniment can be disconcerting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics