HBrock25

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!! #156558
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Barbara, Just to let you know that I did indeed locate Charlene Conner, and have started taking harp lessons from her. She is an amazing teacher, whom I highky recommend. Thanks so much for the info you provided me!

    in reply to: showy harp concertos #165977
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Renie concerto in c? Anyone played/liked it? What’s your opinion on this piece?

    in reply to: Hi To All Amateur Harpists #156742
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hello,

    Hope you can help me out….. I’m looking to hire a harpist or even a amateur harpist that would like to make some extra money on the side.

    in reply to: Nutcracker parts for 2 harps #146921
    HBrock25
    Participant

    The only time I’ve ever really found myself missing the 2nd harp part is near the end of the ballet, in the beginning of the Pax de Deux, where Harp I has the arpeggios, and Harp II is playing the big block 1/4-note chords. Last time I conducted it, I gave the Harp II opening chords to my pizz strings. Another option is to give those chords to the Celeste player who isn’t doing anything (and have him/her play the chords G, Em, etc. on piano or a keyboard set as close as possible to a harp. Beyond the Pax de Deux, I personally find the rest of the Harp II part expendable.

    in reply to: Financing or Rent to own outside the USA? #70807
    HBrock25
    Participant

    James,

    I am also wondering… did you find any answer? I asked about shipping from the US, and it’s very expenive.

    in reply to: Camac Electroharp, sound and techniques #70115
    HBrock25
    Participant

    How about a modeling signal processor like the Korg ax3000g? You can change the sound almost beyond recognition, but some of the more subtle settings get over the heavy bass (which I certainly found a problem at first)

    Also changing to a ‘coupled hands’ technique has some value.

    EricH

    in reply to: Rent a salvi or Lyon Healy harp in London… #70933
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Have you already found a harp to rent? I might be able to rent mine from the end of the month.

    get in touch,

    Alicia Griffiths

    aliciagrif@msn.com

    in reply to: Reverie Harp by Musicmakers #70998
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I have a reverie type harp for sale. It was purchased for my. Ore in law who is in a nursing home. She wanted to have one when she heard a lady playing one. I am not sure where she bought it but she can’t tune it or play it so I said I would sell it for her. The only thing I know is it isn’t a Music Makers brand I will they to find out more info if you want. She wants to let it go to someone who really wants one and the price is very low. Let me know if you want more info.

    in reply to: William Rees Aberdeen harp reviews #156773
    HBrock25
    Participant

    how cool!
    women seemed to have taken over the world of physics…
    now that’s exciting! 🙂

    in reply to: How do you organise your music? #104809
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I keep my work in multiple gig books.

    in reply to: Brand new to harp #156801
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Thank you Olivia.
    Do these books offer skill/technique building blocks…..scales, arpeggios, etc.? I have look online at quite a few offerings in the way of beginner harp books. However, what I have seen mostly present small melodic pieces. Lovely, if one already has learned the fundamentals. What I require as a true beginner is the actual “how to” as I am not able to take lessons with a harp teacher at this point.
    I appreciate your input and suggestions.
    Regards,
    Sheila

    in reply to: Brand new to harp #156800
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Thank you for your sound advice, Andy.
    Saving for the Ravenna would be the most practical approach. However, my funds are somewhat limited right now and as you can imagine, the 19 strings I am currently using are limiting to say the least. I have played classical piano for 46 years. I am used to large left hand accompaniments. Nineteen strings, though allowing me to “get a feel” for the harp, is restricting any real technique building and learning. I feel that the 29 string model of the harp that I am currently using will allow me to advance a little more. It’s relatively inexpensive, albeit low quality, but will fill the gap until I can purchase the Ravenna in a year or two. I have the patience and discipline needed to learn and build skill properly. I just have to apply that same patience where purchasing a quality suitable harp is concerned. Thanks very much for your advice. Best to you.
    Regards,
    Sheila

    in reply to: Brand new to harp #156797
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Thanks Diana. You cleared up my curiosity as to what “in the middle” referred to. Knowing my eagerness to learn, my husband surprised me last Christmas and told me to buy a harp.
    Not knowing anything about them, I ordered online and bought a 12 string Lily harp. Naturally, after having been playing 88 keys, I realized my error in about 5 minutes. My husband told me to return it and get something I could actually play. After a little research (very little), I ordered a fully levered Pixi harp (19) strings. Again, though better, still a mistake as more research revealed that most music is written for at least 22 strings. My first goal is to replace this with 29 strings in the spring,(still inexpensive brand) then the second goal: 34 strings and a quality instrument. I have invested a small amount in these online harps just to get started. Dusty Strings Ravenna 34? I’m reading good things…?

    in reply to: Brand new to harp #156795
    HBrock25
    Participant

    What kind of harp do you play, Diana? Lever or Pedal? How long have you been playing? (If you don’t mind my asking.)
    Just a short while spent watching Josh Layne and I am going through the basic scale motion with my right hand and it makes perfect sense. It feels clumsy, but after 46 years of experience playing classical piano and teaching for 17, I know that repetition and patience will solve all.

    in reply to: Hi To All Amateur Harpists #156741
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Dear Debbie,
    I hope it’s o.k. to respond to your response. I’m not sure how forums work and what is protocol. Your response caught my eye. I have had several passions in my life…..classical piano (been playing for 46 yrs…..knitting, reading and I Love Lucy!!! I watch her everyday. I will never get tired of that show. I also love the Harpo Marx episode and have enjoyed watching him in all the old Marx Brothers movies.
    Last year my husband bought me my first harp. A small 19 string inexpensive beginner instrument. I had every hope of applying the discipline I was trained with through my piano studying and subsequently the discipline I have trained my piano students with for the past l7 yrs. Unfortunately, I had a very busy and tumultuous year and the poor little harp stayed in it’s place of honor in the music room waiting for me. Well, life is now back to normal and I have begun my quest again…to learn how to play. I am not in a position to take formal lessons right now, but with my musical knowledge and background, this website and the help of other online tutorials, I am anxious to begin. Happy harping to you.. Sheila

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 365 total)