harpcolumn

PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

hi all.This is Teva again Thank you all so much for your feedback. I am so excited about purchasing a floor harp (lever), but right now, i am agonizing over this decision! Since i will be laying out a lot of cash, I want to make sure that I am comfortable with my final choice. Unfortunately, I live about 15 hours from the nearest harp store and dont have the possibility to attend any harp convention and dont really want to rent a harp, so I will be making my decision based upon music clips that I hear online as well as upon recommendations of other more experienced harpists like yourselves!. I essentially want a Celtic harp and have no plans or desire to play a pedal harp. I prefer a 36 string harp with medium tension, one with big volume but not overly “bright” sound I prefer a rich mellow but very clean clear “celestial” sound. I think I may like cherry, sapele, or bubinga wood. My budget is around $5000 tops. I am certain there are many models of harps out there that I would love. I am considering a Dusty Strings FH36, a Triplett signature, or a Thormahlen cygnet( I think this one is out of my budget) but I am open to any suggestions about other models you think I may like based on the info I have told you!PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Teva,

If I had a choice between a Dusty 36 and a Cygnet, I would go with the Dusty.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Thanks for the info jerusha. I am leaning toward the dusty strings because i have heard alot of positive remarks about them. I would love to get Bubinga wood, which would come out more than my budget for the 36 string, but within my budget for the 34 string.Only the sapele wood falls in my budget for the 36 string. what would you recommend?

Peg .
    Participant

I can’t speak to the Triplett or Thormahlen except that they are both
    fine harpmakers, but I’ve heard the Dusty Strings FH36 (mine is a
    Dusty Strings Crescendo 34) and can vouch for it’s very clear and
    distinctive sound — it sounds very much like the audio clips on the
    website (except better!). The worksmanship is excellent, and their
    customer services is good. It is a beautiful harp!

I don’t know where you are located geographically, but if you are in
    the Pacific Northwest, you might want to consider doing a weekend
    trip, shelling out the cash for a hotel room and gas,

Amber M
    Participant

Teva, I sent you an email with contact info for a store selling a bubinga 36S within your range. Let me know if you didnt receive.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Why don’t you want to rent? Some companies will rent to own, so you get the best of having something nice to play AND avoiding making a mistake.

tony-morosco
    Participant

It is such a personal choice. The thing is, all three that you mention are good choices. Really, any of them would be a great instrument so it isn’t like there is some objective criteria to say that one is a better choice. So you really have to go with the one that speaks to you. It would be so much better if you could go try them all. Then it would simply be which ever one felt and sounded more right to you.

If that isn’t the case then go with the one that sounds most like what you want from the sound clips.

I’ll tell you which one I would pick, but that really doesn’t matter because the one I would pick isn’t inherently better than the others. It is simply a preference thing.

That said, out of those I prefer the Triplett Signature. I just like the tone of it and have played one before and like the feel of the spacing and the contour of the staved back. Also I like the look of it better than the other. More of a classic, simple Celtic look.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

When you look at classified ads for used harps, there seem to be a disproportionate number for harps from various makers made of bubinga. Just my personal opinion, but I think people buy harps of this wood and then find out afterwards that they are VERY heavy instruments. If at all

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Once again, thanks for your very useful feedback. I live in sunny south florida, where many of us residents spend our free time on the beach instead of playing musical instruments,so maybe that is the reason why the closest harp center is in Atlanta, Georgia, about 15 hours away.( i am definitely far from the pacific northwest).Well now i have pretty much narrowed my search to a dusty strings FH 36H or a triplett signature(or possibly the 34 string versions of these). i would appreciate any more feedback or comments you may have on these models, as well as the limitations of 34 vs 36 strings. and Amber, I didnt get your email yet, so would you please resend????

Amber M
    Participant

I re-sent to the gmail acct listed for you. If you still dont receive it, send me an email and will get you the info.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Teva, they have (at least according to the website) a Thormahlen Serenade at Atlanta Harp Center.

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

It is a personal choice. My personal favorite for a lever harp

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

hi amber, i checked my gmail, and did find the email from you about the FH36S Dusty strings harp. i went to the atlanta harp center website, but this harp was not listed. i will email the address you gave me. this may be a dream come true!!!!!!! thanks thanks thanks! Teva

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Hi Lisa, The only Harpists I know are all of YOU!!!!! I wish I could hook up with some round here. That will be yet another challenge!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

South Florida has many, many harpists, both lever and pedal. Try contacting the local AHS chapter:

http://harpsfl.org/contact.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.