HBrock25

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New harpcolumn.com features #104026
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Tony, is the PDF resolution any better with the current issue? We bumped it up a bit. I’m afraid to make it too big or it will absorb all our bandwidth :).

    Thanks,

    –Hugh

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hello Edith. I’ve just checked and it appears you are all set – we pre-entered the customer ID of everyone whose email address we had. If you browse to http://www.harpcolumn.com/hc-subscribers/current-issue , you should get the new issue. You may have to log into the site again but it should prompt you to do that.

    If you still have trouble getting the magazine, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    –Hugh

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Heh… trickery by me (actually it’s sort of an accident). I lengthened the session time so you don’t have to re-enter your password as often, which has the effect of showing someone “online” even if they’ve been away for a few hours. I wasn’t expecting the “members online” number to go up but I guess I’ll leave it like it is.

    in reply to: Paddy Cafferky harp #156492
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Lyra music in Florida…. I used a micrometer on my Paddy Cafferky gut strung harp I purchased on ebay… and measured the string lengths..

    in reply to: Dusty Strings FH26 – do the older versions hold up (1988)? #70608
    HBrock25
    Participant

    My old Dusty Strings FH36A(Modified Neck) is going to be 23 years old in February, and is solid as a rock.

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi Matthew. I have built a number of Koras – some

    simpler than the others & have dealt with the problem you describe

    quite a few times. I just posted an article on my webpage about

    making a guitar-geared-tuner and fiddle-peg tuner type Kora neck that

    addresses the problem. It’s on my webpage at:

    http://www.DennisHavlena.com. Look for the neck article under

    my “Kora” section. Please let me know how it goes. Also one my simple harp building articles on the webpage talks about how I used small chunks of ebony to combat the “digging in “‘situation. Cheers – Dennis Havlena

    dhavlena@gmail.com

    Please respond by e-mail as well as this forum.

    in reply to: Martin “Petite Symphonie Concertante” #146735
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I turned pages for the harpsichordist for that performance. The pianist was Fred Moyer and the harpishordist was Mark Kroll. Colin Davis conducted. They did amplify the harpsichord only – even with a “Wanda Landowska” harpischord, amplification is required.

    in reply to: I have a Clark Harp #69469
    HBrock25
    Participant

    To answer your question about the Clark Irish harp – the Clark Harp Manufacturing Co, was established in 1911. Production actually began in 1908 and a new company was formed to take care of the growing sales of the new harp.

    This information can be found in chapter 2 of “Pulling Strings”. There are lots of interesting photos in the book that have never published before. and some incredible stories of Melvile A. Clark, harp designer.

    Linda Pembroke Kaiser, Author

    in reply to: Contemporary wedding music #146786
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Whenever choosing hymns, always bear these basic points in mind,
    1. Whether the words are understandable and appropriate or not
    2. What proportion of the congregation are likely to know them
    3. How easy the tune is to learn and sing
    4. How long the hymn is and
    5. The level of your faith and the likely congregation
    ______________
    wedding gowns

    in reply to: New harpcolumn.com features #104025
    HBrock25
    Participant

    OK, I have now set things up so it is possible to order an online-only subscription and pay no postage charges. If you are outside the U.S. and you would like to subscribe, but haven’t wanted to pay an extra $60 a year for postage, this is for you! If you do subscribe and would like to switch over to online-only when your subscription is up for renewal, just email us and let us know and we’ll do it for you.

    To order, see http://www.harpcolumn.com/hc-subscribers/subscribe

    And yes, when we do the next PDF for the January issue, we’ll make sure the resolution is a bit higher.

    Re digital back issues: I’m working on making them available for free online to all subscribers (the ones we have PDFs for, anyway). Watch this space for more details!

    –Hugh

    in reply to: New harpcolumn.com features #104023
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Yeah, I’m very sorry about the search thing — the search capability on the site was just killing its performance, so I had to turn it off. We’re working on a total revamp which will have real search capability and lots of other good stuff.

    in reply to: New harpcolumn.com features #104020
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Interesting to hear about the file size. We can certainly bump up the quality some unless the hordes of folks downloading the issue eat up all our bandwidthh (which is a problem we’d love to have, in the end).

    I’ll be working this weekend on putting together an online-only subscription offering and making it available to folks; I’ll post here when we have it working.

    Not sure what happened with the ad unless we accidentally made a pdf of a not-quite-finished version of the issue… hmm…

    in reply to: Screen names #104773
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hello Niina.

    Without going too far into it, harpcolumn.com is based on some fairly old software that only uses the “screen name” in a few places (the blogging part of the site, for example). You are however welcome to change your actual name on the site to whatever you like.

    We have some very exciting new developments coming as we prepare the replacement for this site. We’ll let you all know when it’s getting close!

    –Hugh Brock, publisher/webmaster

    in reply to: Russian Lunacharsky Harps… pedal, 46 strings… #146753
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi Krystal

    do you still want to sell your harp?

    in reply to: Jay Witcher harp #70734
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I knew him and worked with him for a short time in Forestville, California. That was 1972’ish. Is he still working???

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 365 total)