harpcolumn

Nutcracker parts for 2 harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Nutcracker parts for 2 harps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

I’m conducting the full Nutcracker ballet this year and see that the original score calls for 2 harps. I’ve played the score in the orchestra many times (I’m not a harpist) but have never seen more that one harp player sitting across the way. How do harpists handle this – can one of the parts be left out – or do I need to combine the 2 parts into one?

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

There are two harp parts, but only one harp is needed.

Harpists either play the principal part only, or do a little combining where necessary, and only if they have to. We do not want to put second harpists out of work! New York City Ballet always uses two harpists. You should, as well. A harp adds more color than another violin. The two harps are necessary to have the full harmony and patterns Tchaikovsky wrote.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

Our conductor always claimed there was only room for 1 harp in the pit, and never welcomed a second harpist.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

HBrock25
    Keymaster

The only time I’ve ever really found myself missing the 2nd harp part is near the end of the ballet, in the beginning of the Pax de Deux, where Harp I has the arpeggios, and Harp II is playing the big block 1/4-note chords. Last time I conducted it, I gave the Harp II opening chords to my pizz strings. Another option is to give those chords to the Celeste player who isn’t doing anything (and have him/her play the chords G, Em, etc. on piano or a keyboard set as close as possible to a harp. Beyond the Pax de Deux, I personally find the rest of the Harp II part expendable.

We need the work.

emma-graham
    Participant

Oooh there’s a cheeky reply begging to be posted involving the words “expendable” and “conductors”!!
    I’m just not brave enough to do it 😉

Oh, go on, do it!

paulina-porazinska
    Participant

I agree with all the harpists that only the conductor can say that only one harp is needed. Not only we need a job but also we need the real music of Tschaikowsky and this 2 harp parts are so different that is makes difference. However I know that often it is hard to angage 2 harpists all the time so I was also performing as a one harpist. I did combined part which was really difficult and in the end of the ballet

It is better to use the second harp to double the first harp when not playing very much than to forego it. It is not really up to the conductor, but the composer and the audience. Of course, the conductor and manager mind the budget, but a second harp adds more dimension to an orchestra than one more violin. But who listens to us?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics