harpcolumn

Paddy Cafferky harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Paddy Cafferky harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

I am learning to play the harp. It is a Paddy Cafferky harp that my mother bought over 30 years ago but never played.

I want to restring it with gut. It currently has all nylon, but I read somewhere that it was not made for nylon because the tension is too high for the instrument. Also the nylon strings don’t fit the lever grooves in the lower octaves, and buzz.

Where can I find a full set of 37 gut strings (four octaves plus five)?
    Libba

deb-l
    Participant

Libba, if you could get a string chart for the harp that would be the best and easiest way to get the right strings.

Where are you located?

Seoid OC
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Paddy Cafferky is still around so the best thing would be to ask him, I would think.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

You could also google the Maryland harpist Sharon Knowles-her group is called Fynesound-she owns a Cafferky and could probably help you.

Fearghal McCartan
    Participant

Hi, I know this is a bit late on the post and you may have already found your answer but I play a Cafferky 34 string (made in 1999) and use Savarez ‘Alliance KF’ composite strings on it. The bass strings are wire-wound composite.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Lyra music in Florida…. I used a micrometer on my Paddy Cafferky gut strung harp I purchased on ebay… and measured the string lengths..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.