harpcolumn

Help please: High School Level Harp Parts

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Help please: High School Level Harp Parts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I need to brainstorm and was wondering what ideas everony else has.

Hi Katie,

I suggest:

unknown-user
    Participant

Great list, for high school/youth orchestra I’d add Mahler 1, Mussorgsky Night on Bare Mountain, Vaughan Williams Greensleeves and maybe also the Wasps. Elgar Sea Pictures (with mezzo soprano though).

frances-duffy
    Participant

I would add Copland Appalachian Spring Suite.

The list is actually pretty endless (as far as harp parts go), but here is a problem I’ve encountered – the youth orchestra, where I have 2 students, is not able to play alot of the student harp repitoire like Night on Bald Mt. or even Carmen.

Tacye
    Participant

I found that pieces were never chosen on the playability of the harp part- if the other parts were playable the harp had to cope. My first season of County Youth Orchestra we immolated Brunhilda; while the harp section didn’t quite collapse in flames it was a near thing…

Other potentials are the Romeo and Juliet Overture and Brahms Requiem.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

I agree that the playability of the harp part is

Two good parts for technique building are Wagner’s Prelude to die Meistersinger, and Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio Italien and Romeo and Juliet Fantasy-Overture. Also, music from Lehar’s the Merry Widow, Gluck’s Orfeo, the Handel operas, Faure’s Pelleas et Melisande.

Katie, over the years I have arranged over two dozen harp parts for orchestral

HBrock25
    Participant

Hi there,

I am a string orchestra teacher blessed to have two wonderful harpists – one each in my middle and high school orchestras. I have a very difficult time finding music that is appropriate level (my high school orch is small at 19 players and mostly freshman/middle school level) that includes an actual harp part. Could you email me your list of harp parts?

Here’s my email: karen@sweetcello.com

Thank you!

Pat,

Could you please send

Alison
    Participant

Whilst the Wasps is a great piece, I love it, it’s too advanced for a junior orchestra and certainly needs a pedal harp and an experienced player, with a lot of preparation necessary. Alison

Waltz of the Flowers by Tchaikowsky

sanjaysinghania838
    Participant

LeadAbode deploys expert chat agents on your website for qualified live chat lead generation 24×7. Go for 10 days free trial without any payment details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are a family-run business since 1985. We started small, and worked hard through all ups and downs. Now we are Amazon Work gloves home depot bestseller, and the wholesale distributor to many other U.S Retailers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies