harpcolumn

Learning Time

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Learning Time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure what concept young harpists today

Seoid OC
    Participant

Thank you for your post – I found it oddly reassuring to know that no matter how good I am there will always be music that takes a year (or more) to learn and professionals can’t learn everything quickly either.
    And I know exactly what you mean about letting a piece “ferment” between learning and polishing because I have experienced this myself.

harp guy
    Participant

This is FANTASTIC wisdom, and is true across the music field. As I have said before that I am primarily a flutist (harp hobbyist). I can learn entire concerti in a few hours (or a few weeks depending on the level of difficulty), but they still take months to ‘gel’ and ‘ferment’ in order to become polished performances that are easily enjoyed. When my students get discouraged about learning a piece, I have to remind them that it’s OKAY to take your time learning a piece. In fact, it is to be expected if you are to learn and gain something from the process.

I think of learning music as being like starting a relationship with a person. There are layers and layers, and time reveals many things. Even with hymns. Particularly the layers of associations and experience.

HBrock25
    Participant

Hi !
    I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

aleksandar-djuric
    Participant

Dear Saul,
    what a fantastic post you wrote there.

It is very reassuring to know that I am not on a wrong path when thinking that truly mastering a peace takes a lot more than one semester (4-5 months).

During my harp education, I was always pushed to work fast, and now that I have began my studies, even faster. And although this can be a good thing in terms of learning to adapt to situations and time limits, I always felt that a true mastery in performance is achieved through “fermentation” of the piece, after all the technical problems have been solved.

Glad to see I wasn’t wrong in thinking so!

I was lucky to have a wise teacher, who did not believe a piece was done just because you had learned the notes. Put it away and come back to it. As many times as needed. And so I do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies