Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What’s on your music stand? Fall 2011 #105041

    When I find time after practising my orchestra parts, I am working on Songs of Nymphs by Marjan Mozetich, and Valse by Arnold Bax. Great pieces! I’m also working on my own pieces, especially my newest composition, Summer in Vancouver, which is still in its first draft.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144769

    Another piece which is becoming very popular in Canada is Suite Galactique by Caroline Lizotte.

    in reply to: Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet #147190

    The Gavotte is not in either of the suites. I will send you the tricky bits in Suite 1.

    in reply to: Two harp teachers at the same time? #83057

    My daughter studied her instrument with two teachers and derived tremendous benefit from their different approaches. They were friends and colleagues, so there was no undermining of the other. It sounds like your two teachers are covering very different material. The situation could work very well if there is no resulting confusion.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144768

    Marjan Mozetich wrote Songs of Nymphs for Erica Goodman and it has since become very popular among harpists in Canada. It is absolutely gorgeous.

    in reply to: Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet #147188

    Are you doing the whole ballet or the suites? There is one very pianistic bit which is, in fact, doubled by the piano, so it can be somewhat simplified. You’ll know it when you see it. In the ballet, the Gavotte has one tricky little bit. Let me know if you are doing the whole ballet, and I can send you the pages I am referring to if you need them.

    in reply to: World Harp Congress in Vancouver #105389

    I am so glad you enjoyed the 11th WHC! The blues group was headed by Brenda Dor-Groot, with local Vancouver musicians Laurence Mollerup, Mike Michalkow and Bryan Binnema. We tried to get all the harp manufacturers we could, of course, but sometimes it isn’t convenient for them. I would love to hear more feedback from people who went!

    in reply to: Pedaling #83139

    You can’t beat the orchestra harp part for the Magic Fire Music by Wagner. The Debussy Danses are excellent for this purpose as well. Pierne’s Impromptu-Caprice is another good one. There are innumerable orchestra excerpts with crazy pedalings: i.e.Salome’s Dance by R. Strauss.

    in reply to: Contemporary wedding music #146782

    I love David Ice’s arrangements of Longer Than, by Dan Fogelberg, and Fields of Gold by Sting. They are both love songs and highly appropriate for weddings. Ashokan Farewell (Jay Ungar, 1982) was used as a farewell or goodnight at the annual Ashokan fiddle and dance camps before its use as the theme from the documentary on the Civil War by Ken Burns. It is gorgeous.

    in reply to: hello Mr. Sara – you ok? #147292

    Basel is on facebook. He can’t play his harp right now because he left the city and could not take it with him. He is horrified by all the violence and is very depressed.

    in reply to: Salome Questions #147570

    I practised the section at “H” as a fingered scale but the tempo was so fast there that i decided to do it as a one-fingered gliss this time. I also have my own edited version of the one-harp part. The conductor was very pleased with the result and made a point of congratulating me. I told him that I had had to make some changes to make the part workable, and he smiled and said that he was aware that this was a necessity, especially for this piece.

    in reply to: Double harp concertos? #166065

    There’s a lovely quadruple harp concerto called Dream, Light, Movement by Obradinovic. The Belgrade Harp Quartet will be playing it at the World Harp Congress in Vancouver.

    in reply to: Bernard Andres pieces #105262

    Isabelle Perrin is going to be doing a master class on Bernard Andrès at the World Harp Congress. We’re all looking forward to it!

    I checked Beatrice Schroeder Rose’s book, and it is not in there. I have also looked in the Renié method book and I don’t see it in there, either. I would appreciate it if you could tell me which page it is on. It doesn’t appear in the section on Different Heights of the hands on the Strings. Again, if I have missed it, please let me know where it is. I am a bit busy organizing the World Harp Congress, so I don’t have time to look for the other books, but that is why I asked this forum. It’s fast and easy, and usually you get a polite response.

    in reply to: New music #146338

    I don’t know if that counts as “new” but it’s relatively unknown.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 954 total)