harpcolumn

What does P.O. stand for in Marie-Claire Jamet’s edition of Bach Suite #1 stand for?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists What does P.O. stand for in Marie-Claire Jamet’s edition of Bach Suite #1 stand for?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I am going through Marie-Claire Jamet’s edition of the Bach Suite #1, BMV 996, and the term p.o. occurs here and there. It might mean “pouce ouvert” (open thumb) or “palme ouverte” (open palm) but I don’t know for sure. Anybody have the answer?

michael-steadman
    Participant

i don’t have the music in front of me but probably it is “position ordinaire” – probably after a passage of pdlt?

-michael

Misty Harrison
    Participant

yes that’s it

Misty Harrison
    Participant

it can be after pdlt and sometimes too after an 8va or 8vb passage even though that’s rare

carl-swanson
    Participant

That must be something she invented herself. I’ve studied lots of French music and have never encountered it. It’s also not something that her father, Pierre Jamet, ever mentioned to me in lessons.

carl-swanson
    Participant

If I get a chance this weekend I’ll email Marie-Claire and see what she has to say about that indication.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

p.o. is standard notation but not everyone uses it sometimes they just use the wiggly line

if you write pdlt then you need to know when to go back to normal position

if you use a wiggly line then you go back to normal position when the wiggly line is gone

I checked Beatrice Schroeder Rose’s book, and it is not in there. I have also looked in the ReniĂ© method book and I don’t see it in there, either. I would appreciate it if you could tell me which page it is on. It doesn’t appear in the section on Different Heights of the hands on the Strings. Again, if I have missed it, please let me know where it is. I am a bit busy organizing the World Harp Congress, so I don’t have time to look for the other books, but that is why I asked this forum. It’s fast and easy, and usually you get a polite response.

michael-steadman
    Participant

“position originale”?

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I don’t think my response was not polite

I simply gave you the references it’s in

said it might be in the Schroeder Rose

Misty Harrison
    Participant

btw the section on hands at different levels on the strings is not so much about pdlt as it is about playing slightly lower than middle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies