harpcolumn

What’s on your music stand? Fall 2011

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break What’s on your music stand? Fall 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I can’t believe that it’s already fall!

I’m working on arranging lesser-known/played Xmas songs for lever harp for an upcoming gig.

unknown-user
    Participant

This is an interesting post, thanks for starting a conversation! 🙂

I’m a student, so I work on simpler stuff. But this week I’m learning Sylvia Wood’s arrangements for Both Sides Now, and Bookends. I also learned Eleanor Rigby, and a song called Tropical Dreams from Sylvia’s book Gecko Tails. As you can probably tell I’m a Sylvia Woods junkie, but I’m also learning David Ice’s arrangement of Stairway to Heaven!

Thanks for the post!

— Natalie

brook-boddie
    Participant

Jerusha, I was going to reply to your post before I ever even saw my name.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Natalie,

“Eleanor Rigby” is a great song.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi dear,

I just listened to the video link you posted.

deb-l
    Participant

Jerusha, I love these threads!

brook-boddie
    Participant

Jerusha,

I found the book online at amazon, so it should be here soon.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

<<I love these threads!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Brook,

When you get With One Voice in the mail, check out “Before the Marvel of This Night” on pg. 636.

kreig-kitts

For a November 5 community band concert, I’m working on Pines of Rome as well as Carmen Dragon’s

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Nothing on the stand, actually, but I’m thinking of “Moon River,” a propos of just having reread BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S and reading a book about the filming of it. (Truman Capote had Marilyn Monroe in mind and was not best pleased at the choice of Audrey Hepburn. Nor was he pleased by the pussyfooting around with the plot.)

Anyway, that reminded me of how wistful and touching Audrey Hepburn was, sitting on the fire escape and singing “Moon River” to the guitar, never mind that she could neither really sing nor play the guitar. Also, there’s a lovely YouTube video of “Moon River” on flute and harp (Floraleda ???? Forget last name).

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Jerusha!

Yes I am learning Sylvia’s Lennon and McCartney arrangement from her Lennon and McCartney book. That book is absolutely amazing, I’m a huge Beatles fan!

David Ice’s arrangement was much easier to learn than I expected, it has beautiful arpeggios. It slid right under my fingers I loved it!

— Natalie

The Jennifer Pratt-Walter version of Wexford Carol in Celtic Christmas by Thom Dutton and some fo the Marian hymns from Christmas Day by Sunita Staneslow.

Jennifer

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kreig,

That’s neat that you have your own system of shorthand.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I love “Moon River”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies