harpcolumn

Repertoire for recitals

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Repertoire for recitals

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Another piece which is becoming very popular in Canada is Suite Galactique by Caroline Lizotte.

barbara-fackler
    Participant

Nobody mentions Bernard Andrés. He’s got some wonderful music available to us that pleases audiences.

Yes, but my point was to look for pieces with musical substance, not just people pleasers, which many of you are not doing. Andres is very much like Tournier and Damase, but less substantial in many pieces, I believe, from my limited exposure. There is a lot more out there to discover, people, so please buy music and search out new composers.

Speaking of repertoire, I have been laboring for about three years to edit the Deux Pieces by Florent Schmitt, originally for chromatic harp, as pedal harp pieces. I believe I have finally completed that process, and can move on to finishing learning and publishing the pieces. These are huge pieces, perhaps the biggest in scale yet seen for the harp. They are together, close to twenty minutes in length, at least fifteen, a very sophisticated romantic style, somewhat like Faure but with much more elaboration and length, very masterful music. Florent Schmitt was a major composer, but perhaps the least known of the famous French masters. He and Salzedo served together in World War I. He also wrote a piece for chromatic harp and string quartet that I have edited, but not copied. It is also very large in scale and very demanding. None of these pieces are actually that chromatic except in a few spots.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics