Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New music #146337

    I really like the Valse by Bax that is published by Fatrock Ink.

    in reply to: Harp teachers in Dorset England? #83250

    http://www.ukharp.net/ Hope this helps!

    in reply to: favorite warm-ups #147733

    I do several versions of scales with the metronome on, and increase the speed to the point where I am challenging myself. I throw in some chord inversions, hand-over-hand arpeggios, Salzedo’s Conditioning Exercises, one-handed arpeggios, then if I have time, I’ll open up Larivière at a random page. I also use bits of tricky orchestra parts or concertos as warm-ups sometimes.

    in reply to: teacher in the Scarborough area North Yorkshire #82878

    http://www.ukharp.net/ Hope this helps!

    in reply to: harp lessons in dublin #82859
    in reply to: ISFHC Facebook Fan Page #147880

    Hi, Alice! I just tried it and it would not connect unless I logged into Facebook first.

    in reply to: Mozart flute and harp concerto #147912

    As far as I know, Salzedo did not write cadenzas for this concerto. He inserted the Reinecke cadenzas (with cuts, I believe).

    I love these books by Philip Johnston. I already have his first two but i may have to get this one too.

    in reply to: danse profane tempo? #147997

    Yes, Sam, you’re right. For memory, you have to play slowly enough to really observe what is going on. Practising requires different strategies for different goals.

    in reply to: New music #146332

    I find that harp gatherings and conferences are a great way to experience lots of new or unfamiliar repertoire. I keep a pen handy and write down my comments about the pieces I like in the margins of the programme so that I don’t forget afterwards. Usually, the music that is featured is being sold at the exhibits, too.

    If you want to find a room-mate, no problem! We are happy to help find you someone to share a room with. Email whc2011-registration@icsevents.com or helene@icsevents.com and they will help you find someone to share with.

    in reply to: Chamber music suggestions? #157308

    There’s a very pretty Intermezzo for Flute and Harp by Michael Conway Baker, which is intermediate level. Your flute-playing friends probably all have books of repertoire with piano parts, and many will work on the harp. Minuet and Dance of the Blessed Spirits by Gluck works well. The Meditation from Thaîs by Massanet is for harp and violin, but can be done on flute. Bizet’s Intermezzo from Carmen is for flute and harp. If you google flute and harp or look for it on Youtube you will probably get many ideas.

    Though not harp-specific, I highly recommend Philip Johnston’s The Practice Revolution or Not Until You’ve Done Your Practice (for the younger kids). I also love Dr. Carrol McLaughlin’s Power Performance. As far as recordings go, there are so many to choose from and now you can browse the internet and listen to some tracks before buying.

    in reply to: danse profane tempo? #147994

    To build up speed, take a very small section of music and play it as fast as you can, hands separately, and stop. Gradually, you will train your fingers to move more quickly than they are used to. Once you have done this with only one hand at a time, you can put a bar together at this high speed. By building these little “bricks”, you can connect them and eventually get the whole phrase, then the whole piece, up to speed. Your muscles and tendons cannot be pushed past their current limitations, but you can expand these limitations with this method. It takes some time, though. If you try to rush this process too quickly, you can hurt yourself, so give yourself lots of time to learn the piece. The other impediment to speed is simply not knowing what comes next. Once a piece is memorized, it is much easier to play it faster.

    in reply to: Raymonda by Glazunov #148024

    Thanks so much! We will be performing some dances from Act 3 this season, and I thought this solo might be on the program.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 954 total)