Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Harp Gathering #161197

    Hi Pat,

    I’ve considered it myself, but it seems geared more for folk harp than classic harp, so I just don’t think it would be something I would really get into.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: My First Time #161160

    Sid, I have similar problems, but my theory is that I feel safe on the keyboard or when singing. It’s what I “do” — what I have always done. The harp is rather new for me, so it is a little more shakey. Also I feel like I am playing the air sometimes. There is a totally different feel to playing strings than playing keys — I can’t verbalize what I’m trying to say properly……On the keyboard you have something fairly secure under your fingers. You don’t really have the same feel on a harp string……

    However, overall I have come to the conclusion that it’s because it’s a new thing for me more than anything else, and the more I do it, the less freaked I get. It’s a matter of self-confidence and proficiency for me more than anything else.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp hurting collar bone #161228

    Sit at the harp. Lean the harp back to the point where it almost balances on it’s own when you let go. (Don’t really let go….just for a hot second.) When you have the harp at that point, put yourself at the harp. The harp has found it’s balance point, and you won’t take

    in reply to: repertoire #161347

    I like it too, Tess. There are a lot of jigs that make me want to do what Danny Boy makes you want to do, Audrey.

    in reply to: 44 Strings Extended or 46 String Straight? #75013

    If she is that small, I think the Clio would

    in reply to: Can Someone Recommend #161429

    Absolutely!!! You NEED to look at the strings. There’s something about that “looking at the strings things” that makes it just that much easier to memorize everything for the harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110157

    I got to meet Elizabeth at the AHS Detroit conference. She’s a nice lady!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110154

    Andy! Thank you!! I’d love to meet you too.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110126

    Hands down:

    in reply to: Mid-East MFG #156064

    Also left off Webster Harps. They are quite wonderful.

    in reply to: Webster Harps #160309

    Yes, I have a Webster Cecelia in Walnut. It is brand new. I just got it new in June. I used it on a 4-week long gig playing a Renaissance faire this summer, and it behaved beautifully in many different types of weather. I play it regularly, and I keep it tuned. It holds it tune fairly well for a new harp. The nice thing about Webster harps is that Bill Webster is a very good luthier who wants his customers to be happy. He stands behind his products. I had a pinging Camac lever. When I engaged it, it pinged. He worked on adjusting it for a long time and fixed it. He lives about 15 miles from me, so this is a plus. I believe my harp was the first one he installed Camacs on. My teacher also has a McFall, and she has not had one bit of trouble with it — also Camacs — and really loves it. The tension is on the “concert tension” side which I like, and the sound from bottom to top is even and quite lovely. It is a very full sounding harp. I had a guy stop who runs a music store in our area while I was playing outside at the faire, and he could hear it from what would be the equivalent of 2 long city blocks away — with a cacophony of other noise going on. Of course, I don’t play like a wimp, but the harp really sings out when you want it to. They have a rather wide soundboard at the base. The upper notes ring more beautifully than you can imagine. If you want any more information, just pop me an email.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Glissando blister #161243

    I left mine alone, and after a few days I could play without pain….it went flat. After a couple of weeks, I just used an emory and filed it off the fingertip…..it was all dried.

    in reply to: Failures in lessons #86027

    You are absolutely right Diane. The university where I have my lessons doesn’t have more than one harp. I often wish they did, as I need to warm up before a lesson. Sometimes I can get home from work early enough to get 15 minutes on my own harp before I leave for my lesson, but most of the time it’s the first time I’ve had a chance to play for the day.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Failures in lessons #86021

    First of all, she is young. Secondly, I am willing to bet that as a teacher when she is learning these pieces,

    in reply to: Some Advice Please #161553

    I don’t think it was the “pop music of the day,” but more likely the music of the upper classes for the most part. The lower classes still had their own “jams.”

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 717 total)