Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pay someone to write a piece #155598

    Hannah, didn’t you ever play Kerstin’s Arianna? I find it rather dark and not a great projecting sound.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Just starting to teach harp and need some tips #86192

    I recommend “Fun From the First” by Milligan, Vol 1 and 2, which was already recommended. Also the MacDonald Harp Olympics series is excellent, and the Suzuki Vol. 1 is good.

    I also include scales I just assign and show the fingering on. Sometimes I use an exercise or two from the Friou book, but I’m not nuts about the progression in that book.

    in reply to: To June Zydek #110237

    Just thought I’d let you know that he did fix it up for me this summer. He found a child’s mirror — damaged — for $1.00. The base was hot pink, criss-cross wood….just exactly what it needed. He brought it home……sprayed it a walnut brown to match the stand. Then he took the screws out of the pole altogether and cut down the big chunk at the bottom. He screwed the center pole onto the base, and it looks and works just perfectly for me now. I needed it when I played the Renaissance faire here, so he did that for me this past summer.

    Briggs

    in reply to: a warm tone or bright tone in a harp–which do you prefer? #109846

    BOTH!!! Warm and bright. That’s why I love my Athena. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp cases/gig bags #161675

    Well, did you check out the bag for the Eve harp?

    in reply to: sharping lever comparisons #156991

    I can tell you that Camac levers compromise the sound the least of all the levers I have heard, and I find them easy to grasp in a hurry. Some don’t like that they are heavier than others. I don’t care. I LOVE them and the way the strings sound when the levers are engaged. Lovelands are harder to get my hands on quickly. I can’t be specific for others…..but on a double strung harp do you even need levers? (I don’t know much about double or wire strung harps.)

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp cases/gig bags #161664

    It’s possible it will fit in the same case as the Stoney End Eve which isn’t that much money. Check:

    in reply to: new Timothy lap harp #70580

    Timothy, my humble apologies. When I saw your harps at the AHS I was told the price in Canadian and not US, and that seemed high. I didn’t realize it was

    in reply to: Reading music – through the strings? #162079

    Out for pedal harpists???? Surely you jest! As an organist who plays tunes with her feet along with working swell shades and a crescendo pedal and pushing toe studs…..um tapping a page turn with my foot while playing pedal harp would be a piece o’ cake.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: new Timothy lap harp #70576

    I think this is the replacement for the Aedh which he no longer makes. I haven’t played one, but I have played his floor harps (at the AHS Conference this year) and they are really very nice. His prices are on the high side I thought, however.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: have you noticed, so many harpists are nurses? #151368

    Hi Laura,

    And members of the Harpcolumn, as a fellow student of Laura’s teacher, let me assure you that Laura has CHOPS…..big time chops…..when she plays harp. I watched her play one of the Bach French Suites last Tuesday evening at our twice/yearly harp class, and it was pretty darned awesome. So…….Laura could most likely go on to become a professional harpist or a harp teacher, but it seems she is dedicated to nursing. Would that ALL nurses were that dedicated (although most seem to be).

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Breaking Strings #166712

    How old is the harp? How old are the strings? What kind of strings are you using? What is the weather like where you live? Where is your harp kept in the house?

    Briggs

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162141

    My livingroom is carpeted. I have the concert grand on a piece of hard plastic, but my smaller Webster harp — which I thought had a pretty big voice and was told such when I played it outside at a local Renaissance faire — recently surprised me. I ordered a harp table for it to bring it to a more reasonable height. I got the table last weekend. It is walnut with leather on the top. When I put the Webster on it, the sound and brightness doubled. It just blows me away how much better it sounds on the harp table.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Therapy Harp #110492

    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Harplist/messages?o=1

    I think you will have to sign up to post, but you can read, I believe.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Therapy Harp #110490

    Hi Pat,

    If you post on harplist over at Yahoo and ping Julie in Michigan, you can get some information.

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 717 total)