harpcolumn

Some Advice Please

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Some Advice Please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello everyone.

Avoid the Caitlin!!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you for that Jennifer.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Jennifer is absolutely right- you do not want to get this type of harp! Some people have gotten a decent sounding one, but it seems to be rather the exception than the rule.

If you have any inclination towards trying to build a harp, the cheapest way I can point you is to build one from a kit. Try http://www.harpkit.com

Liam M
    Participant

Fiona a chara,

Tacye
    Participant

Can you make it to the Edinburgh Harp Festival http://www.harpfestival.co.uk ?

There are not many harp shops in the UK which stock a wide range of good harps by different makers- but they do come to the festivals.

Harpa Overy

I would second the advice to look at musicmaker’s kits – they really are very good instruments and allow you to personalise the decoration/finish if you wish. As money is an issue (as it is for most at present) you can also save a bit by not installing levers right away. You can always instal them later, when you’ve a bit of knowledge under your belt and are playing pieces that require key changes. Just remember that there will be tax to pay when the kit reaches the UK so you’ll need to figure that into your sums.

I’d also second the advice about Pilgrim’s Skylark. Pilgrim harps are generally very well thought of by those who’ve played them so if you haven’t already, you might want to check out their website.

Unfortunately harps just aren’t cheap, but especially so here in the UK!

unknown-user
    Participant

Aye Liam.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I’d caution you against the “it doesn’t look too difficult” kind of thinking.

unknown-user
    Participant

What I meant by “doesn’t look too difficult” was learning which strings represent which note.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It would be an excellent idea to find a teacher before buying a harp. For one thing, many teachers (at least in the US) either have instruments they rent out inexpensively to students or know where you can do this. It’s a good idea to play a while before you buy; you’ll have a much better idea of what works for you when you’re ready to spend the money.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, the good intentions of finding a harp teacher locally fell flat on it’s face I’m afraid.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Pamela Bruner- Play The Harp Beautifully Series. Great starter book, really takes it a step at a time. She is very thorough with her approach. I recommend getting the DVD’s that go with this book as well. Check out http://www.heartlandharps.com

Rachel
    Participant

Pamela Bruner’s “Play the Harp Beautifully” Vol. 1-2

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

One possible concern with the Sylvia Woods DVD…I think it may be region 1 only (I don’t have my copy anymore, so I can’t check).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.