Hello everyone.

jennifer-buehler on #161514

Avoid the Caitlin!!

Participant
    unknown-user on #161515

Thank you for that Jennifer.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #161516

Jennifer is absolutely right- you do not want to get this type of harp! Some people have gotten a decent sounding one, but it seems to be rather the exception than the rule.

If you have any inclination towards trying to build a harp, the cheapest way I can point you is to build one from a kit. Try http://www.harpkit.com

Participant
    Liam M on #161517

Fiona a chara,

Participant
    Tacye on #161518

Can you make it to the Edinburgh Harp Festival http://www.harpfestival.co.uk ?

There are not many harp shops in the UK which stock a wide range of good harps by different makers- but they do come to the festivals.

Harpa Overy on #161519

I would second the advice to look at musicmaker’s kits – they really are very good instruments and allow you to personalise the decoration/finish if you wish. As money is an issue (as it is for most at present) you can also save a bit by not installing levers right away. You can always instal them later, when you’ve a bit of knowledge under your belt and are playing pieces that require key changes. Just remember that there will be tax to pay when the kit reaches the UK so you’ll need to figure that into your sums.

I’d also second the advice about Pilgrim’s Skylark. Pilgrim harps are generally very well thought of by those who’ve played them so if you haven’t already, you might want to check out their website.

Unfortunately harps just aren’t cheap, but especially so here in the UK!

Participant
    unknown-user on #161520

Aye Liam.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161521

I’d caution you against the “it doesn’t look too difficult” kind of thinking.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161522

What I meant by “doesn’t look too difficult” was learning which strings represent which note.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #161523

It would be an excellent idea to find a teacher before buying a harp. For one thing, many teachers (at least in the US) either have instruments they rent out inexpensively to students or know where you can do this. It’s a good idea to play a while before you buy; you’ll have a much better idea of what works for you when you’re ready to spend the money.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161524

Well, the good intentions of finding a harp teacher locally fell flat on it’s face I’m afraid.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #161525

Pamela Bruner- Play The Harp Beautifully Series. Great starter book, really takes it a step at a time. She is very thorough with her approach. I recommend getting the DVD’s that go with this book as well. Check out http://www.heartlandharps.com

Participant
    Rachel on #161526

Pamela Bruner’s “Play the Harp Beautifully” Vol. 1-2

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161527

One possible concern with the Sylvia Woods DVD…I think it may be region 1 only (I don’t have my copy anymore, so I can’t check).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.