harpcolumn

Mid-East MFG

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Mid-East MFG

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    william-weber
    Participant

A would-be student of the lever harp needs functional levers, of course, so a Mid-East instrument would be unsuitable. The Mid-Easts have their place, and it’s mostly with those who don’t mind getting a fixer-upper. (Just today I repinned the rickety tuning key, but it took a metal lathe to make the new brass pin.) My Caitlin’s tuning pins haven’t slipped yet, but their fits are so widely variable it is obvious how crude a creation it really is.
    It may be they are wising up in Pakistan: the newer ads feature some with Spanish spruce soundboards.

unknown-user
    Participant

Interesting thread this as I too have a Paki.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think what it comes down to with the Pakis is, unlike most harps, they are neither made by professional luthiers nor in regulated factories.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think a lot of Middle East and Far East goods have improved a lot over the past year or so (talking about Chinese manufacturing as well and not just harps).

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Hi Helen,

This is a good list, with some good advice. I would also add Aoyama to the above. I have had mine for over 30 years, and it has been very solid.

Tonie

Liam M
    Participant

Fiona,

Your harp must please you. Any harp that meets this requirement, is a GOOD HARP.

Also left off Webster Harps. They are quite wonderful.

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s my first harp and at present my only harp.

william-weber
    Participant

The builders’ lack of harp acoustics knowledge is becoming evident. My lowest strings pass through the soundboard so close to the column joint there is no way that much sound is conducted from those strings to the soundboard. Still, the strings are spaced properly enough (haven’t used Blevens’s measurement on it yet) that I think I can get the hang of cross-strung playing, with the help of Harper Tasche’s book. Then I can graduate from this rosewood sculpture of a harp. ;-)

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hi Gary,

I was glad to see that someone mentioned Aoyama (in Japan)

Stephen Conor
    Participant

I also agree with you. But we should also somehow give credit to Chinese manufacturers. There are somehow improving in creating great instruments such as accordion. I have a close friend who was just taking accordion lessons and he bought a China-made accordion and it wasn’t that bad.

And for those people who also plays piano, you should try playing the Hailun 218 or any Hailun pianos that was made from China. It’s quality is so great, seriously.

angel-zhao
    Participant

Just to chime in about Chinese manufacturers… My first piano was a Pearl River made in China. To me, that piano has superior touch and tone in comparison to the many other pianos I’ve played to this day. Although I love my current piano which has a similar feel, I still sometimes woe the fact that the Pearl River couldn’t accompany me overseas. Both my best friend and I got Pearl Rivers when we started piano studies due to our (same) teacher’s recommendation. Both are very good pianos. However, another family friend’s daughter who got a “store brand” wasn’t so lucky. That piano’s keys are clunky and the tone very muffled. (Not endorsing Pearl River here, just saying I’ve encountered good ones in early 90’s.)

The thing with the music instrument market in China (or anywhere else) is that if you go in as an amateur without having done any extensive research or have any help from a professional, it’s likely you’d look at the price tags first, which in turn might lead you to generic store brands. For every well made instrument out there, there are 10 or more mass produced “store brands”. Also there’s the problem with “pirated” (yes lol) instruments that are mass produced but illegally branded with a well known name. I can say the honour system started to go down hill some time in the late 90’s, around the same time McDonald’s started shrinking their burgers (if sooner then I was too young to notice).

My grandfather also owns a 50+ years old Chinese accordion that still plays well with minimal upkeep. (Granted I don’t know much about accordions.) My father had a Chinese harmonica back in his youngster days. He loved that thing and calls the present day Chinese made harmonicas junk. It seems like companies nowadays tend to lean toward making money instead of making good products.

Personally I hold Japanese craftsmanship in another regard. For the most part they still hold onto the tradition of being honest to their craft. My shamisen teacher has talked about how some of the newer (not by the masters) made shamisens have misalignment issues at the joints (as in the joint points not matching with certain notes), but at least they are still sturdy and sounded acceptable.

Joe Arry
    Participant

Everything said here about those harp is true (pros and contras).

These harps have great advantage – they are extremlly cheap. It give you a chance to try harp world for a while and find out if it´s your world or not. If harps are not for you, you gain prrety house decoration (whatever you say – they DO look impresive).

If you find that you are harp-lover you will change it within few months. Because they DO sound horrible, lever are just for fun – not working at all. And that tension – spagetti. You could shoot an arrow from that harp and actually hunt down something!!!

But still – I keep mine (22). It is good for travels, campfires and outside parties etc. My 34 is too heavy.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.