harpcolumn

Can Someone Recommend

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Can Someone Recommend

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

A book of romantic pieces, either classical or more modern (e.g. Lady in Red) that is arranged for a beginner please?

Donna O
    Participant

Fiona,
    I’m not sure what part of the world you are in, but I recently purchased a book online from the Sylvia Woods Harp Center called 22 Romantic Songs arranged for the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m in the UK Donna but don’t mind paying for shipping if I can get some nice pieces.

The tutor books I have are predominantly Scottish, Irish and Welsh although there are some very nice pieces in them, I have to admit to not being a great lover of some of them.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Sylvia Woods also has a great book of John Denver’s love songs. I know many would say “John Denver !?!?”, but he really did write some wonderful love songs and they work really well on the

unknown-user
    Participant

Think one of my favourite John Denver Songs is “Annie’s Song” – probably also the one he is most famous for.

I saw that when I was looking through Sylvia Woods’ site earlier.

unknown-user
    Participant

Guess what?

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

“Fake books” probably aren’t much use to you at this stage, as they’re generally just lead sheets.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Audrey.

Do you have decent theory skills?

Donna O
    Participant

Fiona,
    Glad to see the Sylvia Woods book is available in the UK.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes I’ve got theory skills – 13 years at music school from age 5 to 18 taught me that.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Don’t just feel for the strings, Fiona.

Absolutely!!! You NEED to look at the strings. There’s something about that “looking at the strings things” that makes it just that much easier to memorize everything for the harp.

Briggsie

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Audrey and Briggsie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.