harpcolumn

My First Time

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists My First Time

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Playing the harp infront of people outside my immediate family.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

My problem is the opposite! I can play the piano, speak or sing in front of an audience and have no problem. Put me in front of the harp and I tremble! I know that it’s no big deal and once even laughed because I was shaking so much and shouldn’t have been. Who knows why, and someday I hope not to have to take beta blockers when I play harp in public!

Sid, I have similar problems, but my theory is that I feel safe on the keyboard or when singing. It’s what I “do” — what I have always done. The harp is rather new for me, so it is a little more shakey. Also I feel like I am playing the air sometimes. There is a totally different feel to playing strings than playing keys — I can’t verbalize what I’m trying to say properly……On the keyboard you have something fairly secure under your fingers. You don’t really have the same feel on a harp string……

However, overall I have come to the conclusion that it’s because it’s a new thing for me more than anything else, and the more I do it, the less freaked I get. It’s a matter of self-confidence and proficiency for me more than anything else.

Briggsie

dawn-penland
    Participant

I used to shake when I played the cello but haven’t experienced that with the harp.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Congratulations. Playing for other people the first time can be intimidating, but I think an important step. The harp does have the advantage that the sound is so pleasant that an audience is often much more forgiving of imperfection when listening.

Really though, you have every right to be pleased with yourself. It is a big step. Well done.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

My first harp teacher told me that when she started playing the harp in New York City, she would take it

unknown-user
    Participant

I think it’s possibly, apart from it’s soothing tones, an instrument I really like playing even though I’ve only had it for about 3 weeks or so.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi,
    I love to play musical instruments like Guitar and piano,but you know earlier i was even afraid by holding it in hands,and i hold guitar in my hand for the first time on my birthday.It feels great on that day.

unknown-user
    Participant

It is a lovely feeling when you get a new instrument and hold it for the first time, just looking at it, getting used to the feel of it, then playing the first note on it 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.