harpcolumn

Webster Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Webster Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    j-i

Does anyone have a Webster harp? If so, could you give me your review on it? Do you like it, how is the quality, sound, etc.?

Yes, I have a Webster Cecelia in Walnut. It is brand new. I just got it new in June. I used it on a 4-week long gig playing a Renaissance faire this summer, and it behaved beautifully in many different types of weather. I play it regularly, and I keep it tuned. It holds it tune fairly well for a new harp. The nice thing about Webster harps is that Bill Webster is a very good luthier who wants his customers to be happy. He stands behind his products. I had a pinging Camac lever. When I engaged it, it pinged. He worked on adjusting it for a long time and fixed it. He lives about 15 miles from me, so this is a plus. I believe my harp was the first one he installed Camacs on. My teacher also has a McFall, and she has not had one bit of trouble with it — also Camacs — and really loves it. The tension is on the “concert tension” side which I like, and the sound from bottom to top is even and quite lovely. It is a very full sounding harp. I had a guy stop who runs a music store in our area while I was playing outside at the faire, and he could hear it from what would be the equivalent of 2 long city blocks away — with a cacophony of other noise going on. Of course, I don’t play like a wimp, but the harp really sings out when you want it to. They have a rather wide soundboard at the base. The upper notes ring more beautifully than you can imagine. If you want any more information, just pop me an email.

Briggsie

Chris Asmann
    Participant

I have a ‘Madame Cadillac’ model

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Although I don’t have a Webster harp (yet), I’ve met Bill, and seen his shop. (His shop is only a few miles from my house and in the same city.) He is very proud (and rightfully so) of his harps, and because I know a little about woodworking, he told me all about the careful steps he takes in creating a harp. My fondest hope is that one day soon, I’ll be able to watch (and maybe even help) Bill make my harp!

I also heard June at the Rennissance festival. I actually heard her well before I saw her. Silly me, I just had to follow the sweet sound! When I was a few yards away I recognized it as a Webster harp. I was surprised that the sound carried so far.

Patti Newson
    Participant

Hello, I am interested in a Webster 18th Century harp, have you ever tried and if so how does the sound compare to your harp.

Patti Newson
    Participant

Hello, have you tried the 18th Century Webster Harps.

No I haven’t tried the 18th century harps. He had many of his harps at the AHS convention exhibit hall, but I only tried the harps which I could afford, and I fell in love with the Cecelia. He had me try a smaller harp first, but I just didn’t like it as well as Cecelia. I love this harp. It is exactly what I needed, so I just didn’t play the bigger harps he had. All his harps are really very well made. He is an ultimate luthier who uses his brain, hands and EARS most of all. His harps are all really really nice. I love his shop. It’s very “Bill.” It’s small, but everything he needs is in there. I’ve been down there twice since it is in the city where I live. He also put levers on my Stoney End Eve harp this past winter. He is a cool guy….quiet, smart, eccentric…..and most of all fair.

Briggsie

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Afternoon,

I have not played the 18th Century model, but I have played the Laurel Leaf model which is the same height and depth as the 18th Century model.

Patti Newson
    Participant

I’ve been trying for days to email the Harp Studio, but all emails being returned, does anyone have a new email address?

Devon Carpenter
    Participant

I ordered a Laurel Leaf from Webster Harps in January, and Bill personally delivered it to me in Indiana last week.

Patti Newson
    Participant

Your harp sounds very nice and I have seen photos.

His woodworking skills are amazing!

Briggs

Patti Newson
    Participant

Where can I hear a sound clip?

The only way I know of is to go there. He doesn’t have any on his website.

Briggs

Patti Newson
    Participant

Driving from Halifax , Nova Scotia,Canada is hardly an option to hear the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.