Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
November 2, 2009 at 1:01 am in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166208
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantOh no you’re not (one of the oldest harpists here)….not at all. I think it’s great you just started this, and it’ll be great fun, and a lot of hard work. Enjoy!
Briggsie
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantWell, LOL……I like the way my harp looks and so do lots of other people, but more importantly it’s tone and function first. 🙂
I so agree with you on the fakes and phonies, however. There are people who present themselves to be harpists when they really aren’t at all and just “play at” the harp. I see it quite often.
Briggs
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantLook at the key signature. Does the piece start or end on the note that the key signature is named for? (For ex. if
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantWhen you restring, the new strings will be out of tune for awhile….maybe 2 or 3 weeks even. But you must tune it a lot. When I restring, I tune the new strings 2 or 3 times/day. It still takes a long time for my strings to hold tune, especially the really tiny ones. Don’t leave those old strings on there. They can’t possibly be any good.
And you have all the tools you need to do the work yourself. You have the tuner, you have changed a few strings…..as someone above me said, you need to develop a familiarity with your harp, so you should probably do this yourself.
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantCan’t do it. The picture I just saw looks like I died about 2 years ago….Friday….middle school….me=old and beat.
Briggsie
October 28, 2009 at 9:51 pm in reply to: Strings & care -does BRAND NAME matter? – L&H Troubadour #75435Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantYou can go from nylon to gut on a Troubadour. Mine sounds 1000 times better with gut on it than with those nylons.
Briggsie
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantI thought it was just an arrangement for choir.
Briggsie
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantTaktell triangular shaped, wind up. I’ve had mine since 1984, hauled it around in my bookbag everyday
October 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm in reply to: ORIGINAL Lyon & Healy Troubadour – need your thoughts please #74175Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantI said, but I reiterate:
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantThere are lots of chordal sections in “The Girl With the Flaxen Hair.” I play the Grandjany arrangement.
Briggsie
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantThere are lots of chordal sections in “The Girl With the Flaxen Hair.” I play the Grandjany arrangement.
Briggsie
October 23, 2009 at 11:51 pm in reply to: ORIGINAL Lyon & Healy Troubadour – need your thoughts please #74173Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantOh, I forgot to mention, the repairs were
October 23, 2009 at 11:43 pm in reply to: ORIGINAL Lyon & Healy Troubadour – need your thoughts please #74171Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantHello, and maybe I can help you. At the very least, I can tell you my own experience. I own an original L&H Troubadour I harp. I bought it from a friend for $300. The performance levers were useless and no amount of regulation would make them better. They compromised the sound horribly the way they work, and they weren’t regulated and couldn’t be so any longer. I could not use them at all, and I needed levers. Also, no amount of tuning would keep it in tune as the tuning pegs had been turned so many times over the year, the holes in which they were inserted had become slightly bigger than they should be — just from wear.
Briggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantBriggsie B. Peawiggle
ParticipantLol….too true, Michael. But there are those who would take exception to this too… Ah well…..I can only like/dislike what “I” like/dislike. I don’t care what anyone else likes or doesn’t. 🙂
-
AuthorPosts