Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Joanna Newsom #165865

    It’s not right if you are a college-trained singer. For me, that makes it not right. I’m not going to sing that way, teach that way or listen to it. 🙂

    in reply to: Joanna Newsom #165862

    That voice could never grow on me. As a singer and voice teacher it’s just “not right” and I can’t stand it. I know a lot of people like it. That’s fine, but please….it doesn’t “grow” on everyone. Some of us don’t even like the singers on American Idol!

    Briggs

    in reply to: What happens when a string breaks? #75477

    I’ve never been whacked in the face, but I guess it could. It will make a noise. When a bass string breaks (which has never happened to me….knock on wood…I hear it can sound like a gunshot). Don’t feel stupid. The only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask. It’s good to replace it right away too so the tension on the soundboard stays even.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73871

    Thank you so much Maria. That was very nice to say. I needed that today, too…….suffering from one more of the zillion viruses that spread through public school music rooms. I’m home today trying to recuperate.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73868

    Sound was first, and I didn’t care what it looked like. The thing is, when I bought my Camac I was a rank beginner who didn’t know squat. I was very lucky I bought it from the Virginia Harp Center. They aim to please, and they did. After playing lots of different harps, and really knowing what I love now, I’m still glad I have it. I did the right thing. I love my harp.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73862

    Maria,

    To me that is an insane price for a lever harp, but that’s based on my personal economic situation. Like you, I would be looking for a smallish pedal harp. Not everyone wants a pedal harp, and some people are really into the fancy aspect of a harp — it’s looks and all. Personally, I like “plain ole plain ole.” To me a beautiful harp is a blond Atlantide with no soundboard decal. Sleek and pretty, but some like all the inlay and “gee gaws” I guess. No way I would pay $11,500 for a lever harp, though. Yikes!

    Briggs

    in reply to: PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! #151439

    Oh btw, flip up the back seats and clip them after removing the head rests, put the front passenger seat all the way forward, slide the harp in the back on an angle. And when you pull it out, be VERY VERY careful because there are some metal clips on the side of the car that grab the tailgate. They will also grab your kneeblock if you are not careful.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! #151438

    Yes it does. I put my Camac Athena extended in mine all the time.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Prelude 40 or Prelude 38 or Salvi Ana #155736

    I have played them both…..granted it was only one harp from each line, but if I were buying one or the other, it would be the Salvi Ana….hands down. The sound was much finer.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: I Admit It #109032

    Did you ever look closely at Harpo’s face when he is playing? He always had that schtick that he was silly, slapstickish. But, watch his face really closely while he plays. There aren’t too many people with that level of intelligence in their eyes, methinks. Harpo is one of my heroes.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: My New Harp! #75591

    Kay, I got mine in 2006, and I’m still on cloud 9 with mine, too. 🙂 I hope it never goes away.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp Financing? #75614

    Sid I did that, and it looks as if they do financing for music retailers only. That’s what I made out of their website. Maybe I missed something.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: My New Harp! #75584

    Congratulations Laura. My first harp was a Troubadour too. I have it strung with wires and gut. The sound is amazingly better with the gut on it. You can get your strings at L&H, Vanderbilt, Virginia Harp Center or Harp Connection — each of them on line. Enjoy your new harp!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: The “Perfect” harp cart #75559

    Wow that’s almost what I described, except I think the pictures are flipped backwards on that site. Looks like she’s loading it on the disc side. If you copy and paste any of them into a graphics program, you can see that the pictures are just flipped the wrong way.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp Financing? #75610

    Try another bank, or go to a credit union, open a small account and see about getting a loan. Their rates are generally on the low side, or at least they used to be. You will need to have something of value to the bank or credit union for collateral, like a late-model car paid for, a boat or a house.

    Good luck,

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 717 total)