harpcolumn

Joanna Newsom

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Joanna Newsom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I think her harp playing is very interesting and well done, and her lyrics are quite interesting. As for her “singing”, well, if you ever saw the tv show Friends, when Phoebe “sang” in the coffee house, then you probably can guess what I think.

Michael H
    Participant

That’s usually how people feel about her voice…At first. It grows on you after awhile, if you can believe it!

Her voice also improves in her later recordings. Listen to “Peach, Plum, Pear” and then listen to “Emily”.

That voice could never grow on me. As a singer and voice teacher it’s just “not right” and I can’t stand it. I know a lot of people like it. That’s fine, but please….it doesn’t “grow” on everyone. Some of us don’t even like the singers on American Idol!

Briggs

It’s only “not right” if you’re a classical musician.

Michael H
    Participant

Oh, American Idol, the more the singer can caterwaul, the better they score…Ick…

But I understand completely. :[

It’s not right if you are a college-trained singer. For me, that makes it not right. I’m not going to sing that way, teach that way or listen to it. 🙂

Lol….too true, Michael. But there are those who would take exception to this too… Ah well…..I can only like/dislike what “I” like/dislike. I don’t care what anyone else likes or doesn’t. 🙂

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey guys! I just joined this community, and I’m really excited about it 🙂 I love Joanna, and I’m looking for sheet

Michael H
    Participant

You can still get in contact with the man who transcribed the music at jnewproject@gmail.com !

He still sends the files to people so no worries.

Michael H
    Participant

Sorry to double post but I just wanted to let everyone know that it’s time to practice your polyrhythms because all the charts are back up on the JN Transcription Project!

And here’s the link!

Norah Calamy

The aggressive playing in Sawdust and Diamonds is absolutely amazing. By far, my favorite song by Joanna. Personally I don’t prefer her voice, its a little too irregular for me, but I dream of having lessons from her. 🙂

Stephanie Bennett
    Participant

For those in the U.S., Joanna Newsom will be on Jimmy Kimmel Live TV show tonight. I don’t know what other countries it shows in.

Marie Forrest
    Participant

I think Joanna’s great; I’ll definitely be watching this.

Michael H
    Participant

I have like, the first part of the song transcribed… “I found a little plot of land in the garden of Eden, it was and dirt is all the same”…

But I can’t seem to get the rest.

Marie Forrest
    Participant

Hi Michael,

Someone on Youtube put up a transcription of their piano version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwbbutVBD4s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies