harpcolumn

First harp advise please!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories First harp advise please!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Nat Shaw
    Participant

You were right. Jeff has been very resonsive to my many questions, sent 3 sound samples, no pic’s of the instruments though.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, for all I know (I only play large floor harps when I play lever harp), perhaps someone did actually experience this, but I’m curious as to how light a harp would have to be for it to be a real problem, which is why I’d like to know which harp.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

They are pictured at Lewis Creek harps.com

Nat Shaw
    Participant

I don’t think I saw any wood options actually, just a stock photo of the basic model in cherry/maple.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Well, I did get to see Camac levers up close and personal and I find them rather big and bulky. I’m sure they worked just fine, a lot of

Well, LOL……I like the way my harp looks and so do lots of other people, but more importantly it’s tone and function first. 🙂

I so agree with you on the fakes and phonies, however. There are people who present themselves to be harpists when they really aren’t at all and just “play at” the harp. I see it quite often.

Briggs

Karen Johns
    Participant

As I wrote, most people don’t even notice something like levers on a big floor harp. They are not out of proportion, and they work beautifully, smoothly and don’t compromise the sound. It doesn’t matter to me that you don’t like how they look. Looks are not that important to me. It seems that most people who play Webster’s harps prefer the Camacs, including my teacher who owns a McFall with them on. No need to apologize just because you don’t care for the looks of it….just as most will not apologize for their personal taste. Frankly, I despise any other brand of levers myself….just my

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>As I wrote, most people don’t even notice something like levers on a big floor harp.

I completely agree with this. My own personal preference is strongly for camacs although I agree that they are ugly (if you’re obsessing over details) and I don’t care for the swept-back style of the handle, which makes it tricky when you have to go back and forth to harps with levers where the handle is more directly over the string you are playing, but the ability to regulate them and the excellent tone more than makes up for that.

I think to some extent it has to do with the kind of playing you do, as well, which is why I haven’t said anything about levers in this thread. I find I tend to slice my fingers on the sharp edges of the truitt handles when making fast changes, which I do a lot in the kind of playing I do, but that’s not a concern for the sort of music usually used for healing/therapy.

But I think you’re kidding yourself if you think non-harpists can appreciate the appearance of one lever over another. They can’t tell a Style 23 from a troubadour, seriously, unless both are directly in front of them together.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Well, OK then, I revoke my apology. It appeared by your post that I had offended you, as you were awfully quick on the draw and pointed out it was your harp that had the Camacs on it. And by this post it also seems you are on the defense. I was only trying to be polite- a mistake I shall not soon repeat!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I don’t know why everyone is getting so tense here. Some people like one, some like another, just like harps. Obviously all have their merits or people wouldn’t buy them.

Agreed Barbara. Karen appears to be on the muscle for some reason. Apparently she didn’t see my smiley that I put on there. I don’t know why she is so defensive. I simply stated that she didn’t need to apologize for saying my harp wasn’t to her taste. Karen…..first you say my harp is not nice-looking, and then you apologize, and when I tell you you don’t need to you snip at me about some injustice I have theoretically done you. Geeeeeeeeeeeez……please lighten up!!

Briggs

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Good point Maria! I am strong believer in obtaining harp advise from TRUE professionals, not amateurs! One of those TRUE professionals is Christina Tourin, founder of IHTP, who is an expert in small harps and owns just about every

Nat Shaw
    Participant

Wow, if my questions seeded this digression in

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Nat,

I can confirm your experience in that the Cherry Nightingale has a warm tone (not too bright) and is quite resonant.

I imagine Jeff told you that Cherry darkens in time. My got my harp in February 2008 and it looks quite different now in that the wood tone has changed to a darker, rich tone. It’s a very beautiful looking harp.

Sounds like you are making progress. I hope Jeff will be able to match you up with somebody who has one, so you can see and play it first hand!

Michaela

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies