Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
July 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm in reply to: Five Variants of “Dives and Lazarus” – R. Vaughan Williams #142481
Alison
ParticipantIf I could find your email I would sent this onto you – BTW the piece is difficult but not impossible so I hope they warned you ………. A
Alison
ParticipantWhat about diminished 7th chords, they are pretty dark and effective……..
So from all naturals: set C# and Bb, or F# and Eb, or G# and F-natural etc you might have to look some of these these up… and perhaps that’s more limited on the lever harp. Just play them as sevenths, you can improvise to your heart’s content….Alison
Participanthmmm Interesting & I am wondering why it taken so long for you to post this !!!
I will print this and study it closely I would get out my maths and music book (Dermot Roaf and Robin Wilson (so of Prime Minister Wilson) and there is a table on the web somewhere with the tensions and gauges of celtic harp strings etc – all this is very important in the harp design – I wish I could read it easily – my familiarity with degree maths and physics is fading, Shall I pass this on to my maths/engineering tutor ?Alison
ParticipantBen, the manufacturers have a recommended range on temperature and humidity, which you could look up (I only think in degrees C now) – and you could buy a cheap hygrometer (humidity gauge) and a portable thermometer from the hardware store so easily to take with you and put in the car with the harp, so they will help you decide in situ. But treat your harp like your companion and take it indoors to a cool shady spot, in the heat the strings will go pop at the very least and you’ll sleep better if you are not worrying about it… I hate overheating my harp even on a short trip, you’ll never know if it introduces the start of small soundboard cracks, but if you leave it in the heat you’ll forever worry about it. A little bit of a hassle is worth it to protect your harp.
Alison
ParticipantSo “If I were a Rich Man” isn’t featured ? It used to annoy me but now I like it although it’s probably too chromatic, like Take 5, but it might be fun to include it in a medley, I’ll try to play it by ear on the piano first……
Alison
ParticipantI went to a hotel to play on Christmas day once where their lift turned out to be an enclosed lift for disabled persons installed on the exterior of the building. It was Christmas day, cold and whilst I deplored the lift at the time, having expected a normal interior one and after being kept waiting outside locked doors for ages (usual harpy difficulties with hotels/waiters/doors etc) but actually it was just big enough for myself and the harp, was enclosed and had interior controls etc and was installed for 2 floors with a reasonably small footprint, as they say. Better than a dumb waiter !! (a reference to Pinter’s play title) oh and be careful what you ask for !!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558461/Rampant-lunacy-Council-pays-40-000-fit-10-level-60m-eyesore-home-disabled-girl-needed-simple-ramp.htmlAlison
ParticipantThere’s the Cornwall Harp Centre on the north coast – Sarah Deere-Jones, & harpists in Devon, a Dutch harpist/teacher in Totnes and there is Iain (Jack) Hayward nearer Reading so conveniently situated from Heathrow down the M4 in the right direction, but will you be driving or at least have access to an estate car / station wagon ? Geraldine at affairsoftheharp.com north of London might consider your request but isn’t local to Cornwall by any means. Cardiff, in Wales however has several suppliers (Salvi, Camac at Telyn Vining) who might have rental instruments, but you’d have to inquire and then you’d still have a fair drive down to Plymouth. I would plan your flight around your harp plans.
Alison
ParticipantConcertino in an old Style – it might not appeal, but finally on youtube twice:
I’ve had the harp parts and the score without string parts for ages but would need another player locally – what do you think of it ? Busy but maybe not too difficult………
Maciej Malecki Concertino in Ancient Style for 2 Harps and string Orchestra
—————————————————————————–
Web search on: concertino in an old style, harps, youtube (otherwise the videos load into this box)or I have an arrangement of L’Apres Midi for 2 harps and flute arranged by Whit Dudley- 1992 Barrington Music Publications (BMP)
Alison
ParticipantYes if it has a nap (pile) or a velvety surface then it’s always a good idea to wash things inside out. Cold is quite safe, I run cold washes a lot and everything comes out clean and never runs or shrinks – the Australians always wash on cold. My old Salvi green felt cover came out fine although I’ve never washed the newer Red Salvi one.
Alison
Participantwell L&H will know a reliable and friendly taxi firm and be able to advise, after all they are local and always dealing with harp taxis in the city……. I went there in 1992 – they also said DON’T WALK, for safety’s sake.
Alison
ParticipantSurely they asked you to wear white cotton gloves ?
Alison
ParticipantMy Progress is nearly 20 years old, the first with an extended soundboard with a vertical grain and yes it’s been to Edinburgh and Berlin with me and is great for weekends away and when my own harp is wrapped up or unavailable – think it will now be very useful for teaching although I am a little precious about its lacquer finish.
Alison
Participantwell no, but the piano version is equally ‘playable’ I have a collection of songs from musicals.
Alison
ParticipantThere’s another known as the Blacksmith, but I have never seen or heard it.
Alison
Participantthanks Saul
-
AuthorPosts