harpcolumn

One time options for moving a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories One time options for moving a harp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I’m getting closer to getting my own L&H prelude and hopefully I’ll be able to finance one this month!

I have a small car so I’m looking into options to transport the harp from L&H to my house. Its about 8 miles but I was wanting to avoid taking a cab as it seems like all my cab experiences here have been with crazy cab drivers. Unfortunately, anyone I know w/ an SUV are people that I work with and I can’t ask someone to take off the day from work to help me out. I was looking into rideshares (like Lyft or Uber) but 1. I don’t know if thats much better than a taxi and 2. I don’t know if they have any restrictions against transporting more than just passengers? I’ve emailed them to see what they say.

I’m too young to rent a car for a day, I think the age is 25? I think my only other option that I’ve found is maybe to rent a UHaul cargo van? Which leads to my next questions

-If anyone has any other suggestions or opinions on rideshares etc… let me know because I’d appreciate any advice

-If I did end up renting a cargo van, what is the best way to pack my harp in there? I don’t want it to be moving around back there and I’m not going to have anything else in there so its like a 5ft harp in a 9 ft cargo van and I don’t want it to be unsafe or chance it getting damaged. I am only going 8 miles but I’ve never packed a harp like that in a car before. Do I just bring a lot of blankets and lay it down? Should I see if theres any way to strap it to the side of the van?

Thanks!!
    Tracey

susan-rutherford
    Participant

Congratulations on being so near to getting your harp! I was wondering if L&H offer delivery service? Might be the most straightforward and safest way to get the harp home.

Alison
    Participant

well L&H will know a reliable and friendly taxi firm and be able to advise, after all they are local and always dealing with harp taxis in the city……. I went there in 1992 – they also said DON’T WALK, for safety’s sake.

I can’t believe I didn’t even think of that sooner lol

I’ll definitely ask them, thanks so much!

Okay so FYI in case anyone is in the Chicago area and didn’t know, L&H does deliver. I’m 8 miles west of the city and they charge $50. I’ll probably end up doing that.
    Thanks for contributing to this thread 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.