harpcolumn

The American Harp Journal- Carl Swanson

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire The American Harp Journal- Carl Swanson

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Hello everybody! I’m in Paris at the moment and have spent the last week going each day to the National Library of France. I just had to do some bragging before I got home. The following should be on every harpists bucket list, and you should all get this opportunity at some time. This past week, I held in my hands the original manuscript of the Debussy Danses Sacree et Profane AND the Sonate pour flute, alto, et harp!!! I’m never washing my hands again!!! I also had a chance to examine a set of photocopies of the original working manuscript of the Sonate, and learned a lot which will appear in the last article about the third movement that will appear in the Journal next winter. In the mean time, the Carl Fischer edition of the Sonate, the result of all this work, will be printed and available by the conference in New Orleans. Vanderbilt will be selling it there, and maybe others too.

Kimberly Rowe
    Keymaster

Carl: Wow, that is really amazing! Did you have to arrange for special permission to see the actual manuscripts or can anyone just walk in and see them? Can’t wait to see your new edition.

Alison
    Participant

Surely they asked you to wear white cotton gloves ?

carl-swanson
    Participant

They did not ask me to use cotton gloves! They just brought it out and plopped it on the table. It was the engraver’s copy of the manuscript and had pencil markings all over it to instruct the engraver how to lay it out. The manuscript of the Sonate that I’ve been working from is not the engravers copy because there are no pencil markings on it at all.

Tacye
    Participant

White gloves are not usually advised for handling most papers – they snag, lower dexterity and get dirty. If you want to know more see: http://archive.ifla.org/VI/4/news/ipnn37.pdf

sounds amazing! I shall definitely be buying your new edition at the AHS conference. Are you going to be there? I’d love to meet you! Do you know yet how many dollars it will be? Many thanks, in eager anticipation of the edits to the 2nd and 3rd movements (especially as my next performance of the Debussy trio will be on Friday 27th June at St. John’s Smith Square in London…JUST after I get back from the conference…and i really want to somehow include the edits! Thank you!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Eleanor- Unfortunately I’m not going to be at the conference. I hope i get to meet you someday elsewhere. The price for the new Carl Fischer Edition has been set at $39.99, which I think is a bargain. I’m expecting word from my editor at Carl Fischer any day that the edition is back from the printer. As soon as it is, I will have a new page on my web site, http://www.swansonharp.com, where it can be purchased. It will eventually be available in all the usual places where harpists buy their music, both in the US and Europe.

carl-swanson
    Participant

IT’S FINALLY HERE!!!! I just got my copies of the new Carl Fischer edition of the Sonate pour Flute, Alto, et Harpe, based on all of the research that I did for the three articles in the Harp Journal. It’s just gorgeous. They did a fantastic job on it. I’m selling it on my web site.www.swansonharp.com. Within a couple of months it will be available everywhere. But you can get it from my web site now. It’s so great to see this come to this completion.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.