Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
ParticipantI don’t think any student should rely on this as a source at all, except to suggest where to research further. This is a bunch of conversations. None of it can be verified, academically speaking. I guess you’d call it hearsay or something. Our answers are quick, off the top of the head, sometimes well thought out, but never the whole picture (almost never). What we do need, perhaps, is more reference material for the harp in general.
unknown-user
ParticipantI think you need to listen closely to a lot of music and songs to hear how the sections relate to each other. Mainly, you have to wait until you get a contrasting but complimentary idea to go with the first. The rest is a matter of cadences. There is a useful little book on musical form by Percy Goetschius, published by Kalmus, cheap, that will help you along. Or, you might try jazz books.
unknown-user
ParticipantHas anyone ever met a harpist who was wealthy and
unknown-user
ParticipantI think it would be best to make a form letter to send to every music publisher to help them ensure that their music remains in legible print. I find the Sibelius software will allow larger printing if you do not use the default settings. It is also important to maintain wide margins, even on smaller pages. The publisher, if they must use 81/2 by 11 paper, can simply put less on each page and use a few more pages to keep it legible, rather than shrinking a larger page. I always appreciated the fact that music was larger than books or magazines, as a reflection of its importance, I thought. The largest I have ever seen was a 19th-century set of Haydn’s piano music in bound leather volumes that must have been 16 x 24. What a pleasure they were to read. Though we may have better lighting now a days, or will until they ban incandescent bulbs, our eyes aren’t really much better. I will endeavor to keep my music printed large. I did insist on larger printing for my Nocturne, published by Harpiana, and also having less on some pages for page turns as well.
unknown-user
ParticipantThe Dutch ladies music probably wasn’t intended to sound good.
unknown-user
ParticipantI think the Lewis Creek Nightingale is beautiful to the ear and the eye both!
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Brenda- Please contact an audiologist who uses CCC with their professional title before you proceed with surgery.
The Certificate of Clinical Competence indicates that an audiologist has been certified by the American Speech and Hearing Association.
I didn’t read the whole website about Baha, but I think you might be able to get information from ASHA that would be scientifically and not commercially based, which could be helpful to you in decision making.
The device doesn’t appear to restore hearing, as some cochlear implants do, but re-routes the direction of sound to the hearing ear.
An ASHA audiologist will give you the information on all sorts of restoration and amplification devices so that you can make the best decision for you. Good Luck!
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Anthony,
You are right about her thigh muscles -they have always been weak.
unknown-user
ParticipantI’m very interested in your response, Briggsie. I feel as though I’m never able to get my music stand close enough, especially when I’m playing the Prelude at my lesson.
I have new glasses that help some, but I also need STRONG light. My dream light would be one of those that the dentists use that put out about 1000 watts.
I have been concentrating on the
unknown-user
ParticipantI have been a chiropractor for 19 years & harpist for 5 years and your daughters hip pain issue peaked my interest.
unknown-user
ParticipantOccasionally. Strengthening the thigh muscles may help, as well as adjusting bench height, angle, position, etc. Also, look at what kind of shoes she is wearing and how high the heel.
unknown-user
ParticipantJP reminds me of when I moved to New York City, the first thing I did was to go to Bleecker Street and get my ear pierced. Twice. Oh, did that hurt. I selected a green crystal stud and an amethyst, I think. I showed up for lesson with that and Miss Lawrence cringed. We debated if it was okay or not, if I could still command respect in an orchestra rehearsal. After the piercings supposedly healed, I stopped wearing them (to lessons and orchestra), but the holes ended up closing up anyway, which was okay with me, they kept getting infected. Piercing is horrendous.
Anyway, just three years later, another male student came in with earrings, but in just that much time, it had become more-or-less acceptable, some conductors had them, so she apparently gave in.
unknown-user
ParticipantHow much are they asking for it?
unknown-user
ParticipantI definitely think Camac and Truitt are both better than Loveland. They sound better, look better, and don’t break!
As for the differences between them, it’s kind of a toss-up. I have harps with both and like them both. My sister prefers the Camacs because they are easier to get ahold of. They are the older handle style, though; I have no idea what the new ones are like. Some people think Truitt handles are easier if you have to move two levers at once. I think Truitts are prettier 🙂
I have a hard time telling a difference in the sound quality, but if one is better than the other I think it’s the Camacs.
One big difference is ease of installation! My dad is a harpmaker and I have helped him install tons of levers. His harps are now all Truitt-levered, unless someone wants to pay for custom levers. Camacs are so much more difficult to install (and therefore would cost more to install!). Truitts have more intonation adjustment. Camacs adjust side-to-side, Truitts don’t. But it’s easier to get a Truitt on straight the fist time.
That’s what I know! Hope it’s helpful-Hannah
unknown-user
Participantthere are2 very good
-
AuthorPosts