Large print music for beginners

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #162542

Given that there are so many of us

Participant
    carl-swanson on #162543

Buy the music you want to play, take it to a photocopy place, and blow it up 120% or more.

Participant
    unknown-user on #162544

In the last 10 years or so, some well known company made a music stand that I think was computerized. You fed your music in, and it was able to change the font size so you

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #162545

I forget the name, ann, but the problem with is is that you need to use a foot pedal to scroll the music.

I don’t know about you and the OP, but when I was starting, I had enough trouble with just the music stuff, without having to worry about controlling other devices while playing. 🙂

Participant
    unknown-user on #162546

Barbara I had seen that in the advertising, and I completely forgot it! The image of my coordinating all that stuff is priceless!

Participant
    unknown-user on #162547

Sounds like you’re referring to the Music Pad Pro (check out their website at: http://www.freehandsystems.com

I saw an organ recitalist use it, changing it back and forth from portrait to landscape orientation on the music rack of the organ. Have wanted to get one for myself, if only for the simple reason to have all my music in digital format, not having to carry around many pounds of music everywhere I go. One can also mark the music with fingerings, annotations, notes, etc., as well as color highlight. Page turns are accomplished either by foot pedal (which would work for lever harpers) or by touching the screen (pedal harpists are already used to turning pages – this would make it easier, since you just touch anywhere on the screen.) Another great feature is the half-page turns in portrait mode, and two-page view in landscape mode.

Check it out – anyone have one of the Music Pad Pros already?

Doug – newbie harper in Illinois

Participant
    unknown-user on #162548

I think it would be best to make a form letter to send to every music publisher to help them ensure that their music remains in legible print. I find the Sibelius software will allow larger printing if you do not use the default settings. It is also important to maintain wide margins, even on smaller pages. The publisher, if they must use 81/2 by 11 paper, can simply put less on each page and use a few more pages to keep it legible, rather than shrinking a larger page. I always appreciated the fact that music was larger than books or magazines, as a reflection of its importance, I thought. The largest I have ever seen was a 19th-century set of Haydn’s piano music in bound leather volumes that must have been 16 x 24. What a pleasure they were to read. Though we may have better lighting now a days, or will until they ban incandescent bulbs, our eyes aren’t really much better. I will endeavor to keep my music printed large. I did insist on larger printing for my Nocturne, published by Harpiana, and also having less on some pages for page turns as well.

helen-rudd on #162549

I’d love to have on of the Music Pad Pro’s but they seem very expensive for what they do over 800.00! Add that to the fact that scanning music is a big pain and I’ve decided I’ll wait unitl they go down in price (by about 1/2 at least!)

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #162550

All music fonts are scalable. However, I think you are more likely to see the opposite happening, Saul. Paper is by far the most expensive part of publishing, along with shipping to distributors, so I would expect to see publishers squishing more on the page, not less, as the overall market demand for sheet music shrinks.

Of course, the concept of buying a printed piece of sheet music is going away anyway. Everyone is moving towards downloads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.