harpcolumn

What do you think the prettiest small harp is?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break What do you think the prettiest small harp is?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    brenda-lee
    Participant

I want to buy a small harp for use in therapy.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think the Lewis Creek Nightingale is beautiful to the ear and the eye both!

Brenda, I had a 34-string, full-levered clarsach made by Pilgrim Harps in England. It was so pretty, with decorated soundboard, mostly gut strings, and light weight. The tone was more resonant and cello-like than any harp I have had since then, and I play mostly pedal harp now. Would some U.K. harp players who have one of these want to comment, whether they also like this model harp?

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

I have to agree with Ann about the Nightingale!

I did a great deal of research when I bought my therapy harp. A good place to do comparison shopping is http://www.emeraldharp.com/Harps.html, which is owned by Christina Tourin, who also runs the International Harp Therapy Program.

My cherry Nightingale (http://lewiscreek.net/lc_nightingale.htm) is very resonant, has a beautiful sound and is also a stunning looking harp! I recommend getting the Truitt Levers. Lewis Creek Instruments does not offer a lap bar, but the Triplett Christina lap bar fits the harp perfectly and is very comfortable!

My harp teacher is a certified harp practitioner and she has a Christina harp and played it for a couple of years. When I started taking lessons, she was so impressed with my Nightingale, that she ended up selling her Christina and getting a Nightingale instead. The sound difference is like day and night and aesthetically, the Nightingale looks so much nice too! Also, is the only therapy harp with 27 strings!

So I am joining Ann in recommending the Nightingale.., you are going to love this little harp!

Michaela

brenda-lee
    Participant

Thank you, everyone for suggesting the Nightingale.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think my Nightingale weighs around 10 1/2 pounds in cherry, but when you go to the website you will see that Jeff Lewis also makes a

brenda-lee
    Participant

Thank you!

brenda-lee
    Participant

Hi~ I just talked to Jeff and he will have the nightingales at the Southeastern Harp Weekend where I will be.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

How small of a harp do you need?

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I love the Pilgrim clarsach and I agree that it is both a beautiful harp and a joy to play, however they are very hard to come by in the United States.

brenda-lee
    Participant

Hi Sarah, I did look at the Aziliz on line, but I haven’t had the chance to hear one yet.

Kathleen Dougherty
    Participant

Eons later, interested parties (me anc me!) want to know: what did you decide upon?

I listened to Edie Elkan play the Marie 23 at the 2011 Somerset, and the sound was lovely. I’m in the market for a therapy harp, and am considering the Lewis Creek Jessie (a friend has one) and the Marie 23.

And just for its beauty, I’d love a Caswell Sweetharp….

hannah-roberts
    Participant

Brenda, that’s the prettiest sounding one I’ve ever tried. Jeff is also really, really nice! I’m very happy with my Christina, but if I had it to do again, I’d get a Nightingale. He has thought of everything (except perhaps the lapbar, but no bother since the Christina fits it.)
    Have a great time at Southeastern! Oh, and you could also try the Stoney End Evensong, another excellent therapy harp.
    Wishing you crisp, perfect weather all weekend long in the Land of the Sky!
    Hannah

deb-l
    Participant

I like the look of Highland Gothic Style Lap Harps and the sound of their recordings.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies