harpcolumn

Distracting

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Distracting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Hi all,

After watching several harpists in person and You Tube as well, I have noticed that

Some of those harpists on youtube, even the really good ones, have awful posture.

Kay, if I put my stand out next to the column, I might as well memorize everything — including the stuff I haven’t learned yet. I can’t see well enough for that. I need my stand much closer. If it is distracting, well, it’s a lot less distracting than if I couldn’t see it and didn’t have it memorized.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m very interested in your response, Briggsie. I feel as though I’m never able to get my music stand close enough, especially when I’m playing the Prelude at my lesson.

I have new glasses that help some, but I also need STRONG light. My dream light would be one of those that the dentists use that put out about 1000 watts.

I have been concentrating on the

I keep the stand close and as “in front” of me as I can so I don’t have to twist my head, and so it doesn’t get in the way of the pedals. I’ve always had lousy vision.. When I was wearing contact lenses, I could see better, but now that I’m getting to that “age close up thing” contacts drive me nuts — even monovision contacts. They are okay for driving or whatever, but going back and forth between music and the strings drives me nuts. So I went back to my glasses. I use a “pharmacy lamp” which is just perfect. It’s a floor lamp in brass and I put a Verilux bulb in it — so I can get as much natural daylight as possible into my brain during the dark Michigan winters. 🙂

Briggsie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.